Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Arrrrgh! Neighbors and pets!

LM1313
March 26th, 2006, 11:07 PM
So I live in an apartment, a converted office building with a common hallway. My neighbors' indoor cat, Patches, managed to get out and has not been seen since. Well, accidents happen, fair enough. But they mentioned this casually to me in passing and have not done a thing to look for her! No "lost" signs posted, no calling the local shelters, nothing! The husband/boyfriend/whatever also kept refering to the cat as "he", which started to tick me off because I know Patches was female . . . (Not only did the girlfriend/wife tell me, but Patches is also a calico.)

If one of my kitty boys was lost, I'd be a wreck . . . I'd be offering rewards and following up with everyone I could find. Not casually mentioning it while yammering on about X-Box games.

Tonight I heard cats yowling outside and I thought it might be Patches or males fighting over her since she was also UNSPAYED *facepalm*, but it's pitch black outside (note to apartment manager: REPLACE LIGHT BULBS) and I couldn't see a thing. :(

Before that, I had another set of neighbors who similarly had a cat run away.

Then they got a kitten which got stuck on the roof outside and when they wouldn't go up to get it, my other neighbors (the ones with Patches, actually) called animal control, who got the kitten down and took it off to the shelter. And the owners refused to go get it back because, ZOMG, that cost money. :mad:

Well, then these same people got a puppy and to "housetrain" the poor thing they would just shut him outside in the backyard. This was in winter, mind you. Whenever I heard him whimpering I would let him into the common hallway, at which point hewould usually piddle there. Well, frankly, who would blame him? He also had an extremely round belly, which probably meant worms. Later, after they were evicted for nonpayment of rent, I learned that a) they had fed the puppy only people food and b) they fed him CIGARETTES because that would supposedly get rid of worms. :mad: ARRRRRGH!

http://www.ponyisland.net/userfiles/2059/gallery/Puppy.jpg

Here's a picture of the little guy one night when I took him into my apartment and fed him kitty food. Poor little guy, I hope he's okay. :( Why people have pets if they're just going to treat them like crap?

~LM~

Prin
March 26th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Why people have pets if they're just going to treat them like crap?
:( Because people suck?

Writing4Fun
March 27th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Yup, that about covers it, Prin. :(

rainbow
March 27th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Yeah....and that`s putting it mildly.:mad:

AshleyMic
March 27th, 2006, 12:18 PM
That kind of animal treatment makes me so mad, how anyone could treat a poor innocent fur baby like that is beyond me. People who neglect or abuse their pets not only need to have their animals taken away but they also need to face some sort of criminal charges. Animals depend on us for everything and they deserve to be loved, nourished and kept healthy.

mhass1129
March 27th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I think what gets me the most is the fact that... well.. animals can't tell us what they need verbally, which should make pet owners all the more responsible and active in preventing/intervening-in animal abuse. But the truth is, all you have to do is look closely (like at the pic of the pup) and how can you NOT see the animal's cry for help? Maybe I was brought up with so many animals I can read animal body language better than other people, but seriously. Can you really look at your pet and not be able to tell that something is wrong? They are not freakin' stuffed animals for crying out loud - are you really that insensitive? Maybe it's just me. All my pets have ever had to do is just LOOK at me and I know how they feel.