Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lab not eating still weeks after surgery

jaspersmom
March 26th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I have an 8 year old lab cross who recently had several fatty deposits surgically removed. about 2 days before the stitches were to come out, he only ate half of his food and that in a lackluster manner. since then he has been eating very little. I've been coaxing him with different foods to no avail. He has vomited some but not much. he coughs sometimes as he is eating, but again, not often. He is losing weight. also he has had two incidents of bed wetting, once in my bed and once in his. It is as though he was unaware of the need to urinate. The vet seems to be at a loss, blood work did not reveal any infection and he has had no fever.This has been going on for almost a month and I am at my wits end. If anyone has anyhelp to offer it would be much appreciated.

OntarioGreys
March 26th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I am guessing he was put on antibiotics, it can cause upset stomachs in many, talk to your vet and let him know they often will prescribe something to coat the stomach

Prin
March 26th, 2006, 11:59 PM
I agree. Have you tried changing his food or adding some canned food to it? If he's really losing weight, that might be somewhere to start.

justncase
March 27th, 2006, 02:30 AM
When a pet is placed under anesthesia, a tube is placed down the esophagus. When the tube is removed, the esophagus can remain irritated and sore causing the pet to cough or have a sore throat which could make eating a difficult and unpleasant experience. Anesthesia's aftereffects can remain in the system for days, weeks, and in some cases, up to a year afterward. It has been know to cause cognitive dysfunction Cell Advance may help. BTW, has your dog been checked for a potassium deficiency?

rainbow
March 27th, 2006, 01:45 PM
When my first husky had surgery he was almost eleven and had a four inch tumour removed from his intestines, then the ends were stretched and sewn together.

He didn`t want to eat either and we kept trying different things. He would eat small amounts of chicken but not much else. He also had his blood checked and my vet stopped by everyday after work to check on him. He was losing weight and she finally said we`re going to have to force feed him or lose him.

She brought over some prescription food (the blandest most easily digestible one) and took small amounts out of the can by hand and smeared it on the roof of his mouth and held his mouth closed until he swallowed. It sounds cruel I know and it`s the hardest thing I`ve had to do...I`d have tears in my eyes while doing it.:sad: But after a couple of days of this, he was back to eating on his own.:) At first just the prescription food, then slowly started adding moistened kibble and finally back to normal.:thumbs up

I don`t know if this would work for you as my dog wasn`t coughing and wasn`t incontinent. Ask your vet and Good Luck....keep us posted.:fingerscr