Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Am I feeding my dog properly?

bonnie76
March 25th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Hello all. Two weeks ago, I adopted Valentino from my local Humane Society. He is lab/pointer/collie, about 65 lbs and 5 years old. Apparently at the shelter he was eating senior dog food, so I continued with this. I did switch him to Solid Gold senior as I have heard it's great, and so far so good (he's so shiny!). However! I was reading a post here by a person who is feeding their golden 2 cups a day of solid gold, while I am feeding just over 4 cups of senior and he's still losing weight!! If this is the right thing for him, I don't mind the expense, but I'm starting to wonder if he needs more than he's getting from a senior food. He is literally leaping for his dish at feeding times! We walk about 3km/day on weekdays, 5+ on weekends, although he does sleep on the couch all day while we're at work. So...do I switch to reg. adult food? Btw, vet says he's very healthy, no problems, maybe 2-3 pounds overweight (though I think he's lost that weight now). Thank you for any advice.

rainbow
March 25th, 2006, 01:43 PM
First of all, it`s great to hear that you adopted an older dog as there are so many out there that need homes.:thumbs up

Valentino should not be on senior food yet. He`s only 5 yr. old and still active and getting exercise. I would put him on the Solid Gold regular adult...it`s a very good food.:pawprint:

bonnie76
March 25th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Would it be the Hund-n-Flocken that I should get? I don't think he quite qualifies for large breed. Is it as tasty as the fish one that I've been getting?

rainbow
March 25th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I don`t feed mine Solid Gold....I just switched to Timberwolf Organics which is also supposed to be good although hard to find in Ontario from what I read on another post here.

Prin feeds her dogs (lab cross) Solid Gold Wolf King. She`s the expert on any dog food questions and you`ll get good info from her when she logs in.:D

wdawson
March 25th, 2006, 03:14 PM
go with wolf king........i have an 11mth pit that has the puppy version....wolf cub large breed and he is 56lbs.and yes prin is a food guru....lol

coppperbelle
March 25th, 2006, 07:37 PM
65 pounds is a large breed dog so I would not be concerned about feeding Solid Gold Wolf King. It is an excellent food. I have been feeding it for over a year and am very happy with it.

OntarioGreys
March 25th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Senior dog foods substitute grain for meat and add a touch of glucosamine, it costs the companies less to make but they charge more, what they have in fact done is created a sales gimmick senior dogs actually require more meat protein than regular adult dog to help maintain muscle mass and to aid in cellular repair, they also do not contain sufficient glucosamine to be of any value, you are better off going to the health store and buying a bottle of 250 mg glucosmine and giving 1 or 2 a day as a preventative, for dogs with joint problems up to 1500mgs is needed. You are way better off to feed a regular mainenance food, if your dogs is slowing down and gaining weight cut back on the amount fed instead.

bonnie76
March 25th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the responses! I did notice that in all senior foods the grain comes first and I wasn't sure about that....I know that senior people don't suddenly have to buy food labelled senior, so it doesn't make a lot of sense that a dog would :) I will definately go for the wolf king and let you know how it goes. Much appreciated!
B.

Prin
March 25th, 2006, 11:36 PM
heh heh, I'm too late. But yes, it's a great food and my doggies love it. Be careful with the portion size because it will be richer than the senior food.

Weight loss in a lab is ok if he needs it. Most labs out there are fat, or at least chubby. I'd discuss with a vet the ideal weight of your dog and strive to achieve it. Labs usually are gluttons and will eat till they die in some cases, and keeping them thin is optimal for their future health (better for their bones, joints, heart, etc).

Good luck!:)

mastifflover
March 26th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Can't add much but I would use glucosamine as a supplement since hips are a problem sometimes so preventative dosages. Costco cheaper supplements buy the Kirkland some are literally half the price

bonnie76
March 26th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I'd discuss with a vet the ideal weight of your dog and strive to achieve it.
Yup, the vet says he's very close to his ideal weight. I know some very heavy labs as well, and see them suffering with arthritis and other joint issues because of it, so this is definately on my mind.

Mastiff: should I be getting the human glucosamine or one for pets? I'm guessing they would be the same? I'm not a Costco member, but I'm sure I can find something affordable!

Thanks for your help

coppperbelle
March 26th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Glucosamine at Costco is for humans. They do not sell it there for dogs. If you aren't a member at Costco you can try Walmart
I agree with Ontario Greys about senior food. I give maintenance food to all senior fosters I get.