Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Teenage Years....

jesse's mommy
March 25th, 2006, 12:10 PM
So we are definitely in the teenage years with Jesse -- I would say about 15-16 in human years. She has been such a rebel this week and has totally regressed in everything the past couple of days. I feel like pulling my hair out. Our baby has done the following this week:

Running around the house with my slippers
Knocked a plant over and spread the dirt around
Taking empty toilet paper rolls out of the bathroom trash can and shredding it
Shredding the mail (thankful it was junk mail :p )
Put her mouth on the corner of the coffee table and looking at me like "just dare me to do it"
Jumping on us out of control
Pulls the blankets and pillows completely off the spare bedroom every single day
Pulling the edges of the carpet and shredding them
Zoomies like crazy this week -- it's hard to keep the cushions on the sofas for more than a few hours

She's definitely rebelling against us right now and testing her boundaries -- again!! It's not exercise because she goes for a walk in the morning and in the afternoon and we play frisbee with her a couple of times a day. She's just being a terror. Back to square one!!!!

By the way, Jesse has never eaten a shoe, gotten into the trash -- except once when daddy left chicken wing bones in there and she took them and buried them in the sofa for later use, has never shredded mail -- boxes yes mail no, she usually likes to get under the covers not pull them off, has never shredded the carpet, or played with the plants -- she is seriously getting into the trouble that she should have gotten into a year and a half ago, not now.

The teenage years, wonderful. :pawprint:

wdawson
March 25th, 2006, 12:38 PM
lol.......sorry not really funny.......guess i'm in store for the teenage years soon.......let us know how you solve some of these issues.

jesse's mommy
March 25th, 2006, 12:41 PM
I don't know, but puppy prozac is sounding pretty good about now. :evil: Maybe I could get her to sleep through this phase. :rolleyes:

jesse's mommy
March 25th, 2006, 12:52 PM
And another I found -- the lever to the recliner has bite marks all over it. :rolleyes:

wdawson
March 25th, 2006, 12:52 PM
lol........get enough for yourself.

jawert1
March 25th, 2006, 01:39 PM
oh jesse's mommy, while I'm laughing my behind off, I also sympathize with you. While Peach and Simon are past that stage, every year at this time (onset of spring) they regress badly. I came home yesterday afternoon to the latest victim of the spring crazies, my monster aloe plant. Thankfully it's used to being repotted :p Good luck, all I can recommend is more exercise for her, the more she's sleeping the less she's attacking the recliner ;)

toby's tracy
March 25th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Put her mouth on the corner of the coffee table and looking at me like "just dare me to do it"
lol - the mental image is too funny!!

How old is your dog? Toby just turned one - is that about the teenage years? Or should he be over them by now?

The other day I came home and Toby had had a party in my bed. We recently moved to a place where the mail gets delivered through a slot in the door, just above where Toby likes to nap during the day. I'm imagining that the mail lands on Toby, scares him, and then he takes his revenge. I was sleeping on a futon on the floor until my new bed arrived and I came home one day to blankets and sheets all twisted together with bits of an RBC Visa card announcement sprinkled on top. yeesh...but he must have had a blast!:crazy:

rainbow
March 25th, 2006, 03:04 PM
LOL...I can relate to all of this x2 :crazy: Logan is 14 months and Chase is 8 months old and one instigates the other.

Most of their damage is ouside though. My back yard looks like a "mine field":eek: and you would think they were part beaver from the way the deck looks.:evil:

I thought Logan would be the worst for stuff like this as he`s the husky but it wasn`t until Chase, the lab, came along that things got bad. :eek:

jesse's mommy
March 25th, 2006, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=toby's tracy]lol - the mental image is too funny!!

How old is your dog? Toby just turned one - is that about the teenage years? Or should he be over them by now?
[QUOTE]

She is almost 2 1/2. You are still at child/puppyhood stage. Toby will calm down considerably in a few months, then BOOM -- teenage years!!!! :eek:

You have plenty more on your hands. They still need to test their boundaries.

By the way, we've also started digging big holes in the backyard and also took the garden hoe and started running or should I say dragging it.

toby's tracy
March 25th, 2006, 06:58 PM
You are still at child/puppyhood stage. Toby will calm down considerably in a few months, then BOOM -- teenage years!!!! :eek:

:eek: holy moly:eek:

jesse's mommy
March 25th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Now she's jumping from bathtub to bathtub waiting for a bath -- mind you we didn't say the word bath at all, she just decided on her own. We've been "ignoring" the request for a bath because we decide this not her. So guess what she did? She jumped into the tub again and brought the plug that holds the water in the tub out to us to give us the hint. :rolleyes:

wdawson
March 25th, 2006, 08:32 PM
am i correct that you just moved ? if so ...i can relate.....when we moved about 1km........or just under 1 mile.......george our 14yr beagle eat the bedroom door and i mean ate........8"wide and at least 30"high.........new door was needed.....but after a few months all is fine............that was a year ago , and now beathoven has been here 11mths and all is still good..with time and effort you will overcome this little setback.
good luck

jesse's mommy
March 25th, 2006, 08:34 PM
We've been here for two and a half months. I would have thought she'd be adjusted by now. Maybe we have a few more months before we are completely "settled".

doggy lover
March 25th, 2006, 08:56 PM
You see I could feel pitty for you, but I have been going through this for two years now with Tucker. He is just now slowing down, and listening to me, its like the commands are staying between his ears. His breeder kept saying he will be better after he hits two, which will be in May so I guess he is begining. Yeah!:party:

jesse's mommy
March 25th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Jesse was listening, but just decided in the past few days that she is not going to listen. She will be 2 1/2 in May/June. I really thought we would have slowed down too, but guess what? I was wrong!!! I'm hoping this is just a couple of days phase and will pass. Maybe it's just Spring Fever or something.

Wait, I have to go. She just grabbed my work computer by the case.

domesticzookeep
March 25th, 2006, 09:42 PM
....LOL.....sounds like a *normal* week to me :D
...well, excepts for knocking over the plant - all gardening happens in the front yard now - all indoor plants moved out/killed by some curious cats years ago :rolleyes:

C.
:ca:

rainbow
March 26th, 2006, 06:34 PM
From these charts Toby, Logan and Chase are "teenagers" so Jesse must be "sowing her wild oats".:D

www.veternet.com/dogagechart.html
www.dcn.davis.ca.us/vme/DrSue/age.html
www.lakeeffectdogs.com/Dog_Age_Chart.htm

jesse's mommy
March 26th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Then this must be the equivalent to "I'm legal drinking age, I can do what I want, I'm staying out all night" phase!

Prin
March 26th, 2006, 11:56 PM
lol Yey adolescent doggies! Woohoo!! Dogs actually are hard to cope with from birth to about 2 years old, but they give you a break every once in a while if they feel you deserve it... :evil: We got Jemma and Boo a bit older and now I can't imagine having a puppy for that reason. :D :crazy:

toby's tracy
March 27th, 2006, 08:10 AM
lol Yey adolescent doggies! Woohoo!! Dogs actually are hard to cope with from birth to about 2 years old, but they give you a break every once in a while if they feel you deserve it... :evil:

When Toby was about 5 months old, I met a woman with her dog on a walk. Toby was going crazy, her dog just sat there gazing at the silly yo yo at the end of my leash.

I commented that I couldn't wait for Toby to be like that and her response was that he (her dog) started to get sensible at THREE.

only 2 years to go! :)

mom_to_many
March 27th, 2006, 11:12 AM
HeHe I am soo glad my pups are grown!.BUT.. I also have a chewed coffee table, arm of the couch, leg of a chair and 3-4 pair of shoes that BooBear only destroyed 1 shoe of each pair!! My grand kids now, Shayla and Miss Kitty have decided this weekend that my 4 ft. tall rubber plant is an actual tree, and my potted ivy is a kitty bed! Kids...gotta luv em!:love:

rainbow
March 27th, 2006, 12:11 PM
... We got Jemma and Boo a bit older and now I can't imagine having a puppy for that reason.

Prin...have you never had a "puppy"? And what about cats?

Prin
March 27th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I had a puppy when I was younger, but that's about it. Boo was around 6 months when we got him (and 75lbs), but he was so ready to learn that he doesn't really count. Jemma was 1.5 years, my old dobie was 3, my first dobie was around 1 (but I was a baby) and my newf was 6... The only real baby was our yellow lab who was 6 weeks old, but I was fairly young. She was a puppy forever.. She chewed till the day she died... :D

I had a kitten when I lived in Whistler (actually a roommate's cat, but she liked me best and hung with me most), but she died of heart failure at 8 months.

No puppies for me yet really. That's why I never chime in on the threads about paper training and stuff like that...

BernerLver
March 27th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I can sympathize will all those with "teenage" dogs. Bailey will be 2 in June and he is just now becoming slightly less of a handful.

Hes been a big crazy nut since we adopted him. We adopted him at 4 months from a family who originally purchased him from a pet store. With no training, socializing etc. to that point he was a handful to say the least (biting, jumping, house soiling)

I think he will always be a little on the hyper side but we can keep it under control better now with proper training.

I find I notice his nuttiness now more than ever since our new 6 year old BMD arrived. He's so mellow and laid back he makes Bailey seem that much more active :D

Ah but even though he makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes in frustration, I wouldn't trade him for anything.

mhass1129
March 27th, 2006, 04:00 PM
[QUOTE=Prin]The only real baby was our yellow lab who was 6 weeks old, but I was fairly young. She was a puppy forever.. She chewed till the day she died... :D [/QUOTE=Prin]

You mean the chewing could go on FOREVER?!!? :eek:

I'm worn out from puppy parenthood and I barely started. Geesh ;)

Prin
March 27th, 2006, 10:14 PM
LOL We ended up giving her a shoe. My dad would wear it every now and then around the house, so it would keep its smell and she would just chew that one.:D But yeah, till the day she died, she chewed moldings, ate the garbage, all that.:evil:

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
March 28th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Oh man . . . My two are seniors now but I remember those teenagehood days as if they were yesterday :p Sometimes though I swear they're reverting back to those days, especially with Suki. Hamish is mellowed out considerably (he has his moments though) but Suki's still mischeivous.