Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice needed

mom2kaia
December 4th, 2003, 08:26 PM
I am going to start by saying we are likely taking our cat to the vet tomorrow.

We adopted Drake after he was taken from an abusive home. He has always been a real friendly and sociable cat however for the last little while things have changed.

Drake started puking a few months ago. It seemed that hairballs were the culprit. His behaviour was fine while this was occurring. I bought some of that hairball stuff and he loved it and that seemed to help the problem.

In the last 24 hours he has puked about 6 times. Not big pukes though, just little puddles of liquid. No fur. And today he is not being sociable, in fact he is hiding behind the sofa or a plant. I feel like he is dying. :(

Tonight I pulled out his favorite treat from the cupboard. Normally he rubs against everything meowing away to get some of it but today there was no interest at all.

To the best of our knowledge he is using the litter. We have 2 other cats also so I am not quite sure. My hubby, who changes the litter daily, says that he is though.

Anyone have any ideas what this might be? Any experience? I just worry terribly about my cats cuz they are my babies and I would like some idea of what maybe to expect. As far as his age, we aren't totally sure but he has been estimated to be about seven.

Thanks...

Carina
December 4th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Aww, gosh - I have no clue...just want to send you some good vibes & thoughts for Drake tomorrow.
Please let us know how he's doing & what the vet says....

Luba
December 4th, 2003, 11:15 PM
Like Carina I have no clue other then to ask whether kitty is an indoor / outdoor cat.... possibility of eating something outside or coming into contact with another sick cat???

I am sending your kitty hugs and warm thoughts to you as well, it is tough when they are sick.

Please keep us informed

kristi
December 4th, 2003, 11:41 PM
I don't know what may be the problem, but I hope everything turns out well for you and Drake.

Please take him to the vet and find out what it is. I have been through a terrible week with my dog, so I know how you worry.

Keep us posted, please.

Our prayers are with you.

homer
December 11th, 2003, 03:16 PM
To me this sounds like it may be some type of intestinal blockage or foerign body blockage.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Homer

Lucky Rescue
December 11th, 2003, 05:53 PM
The fact that your cat is hiding does not mean he is dying. Hiding is an instinctive behavior of sick or injured wild animals in that showing any weakness may mean death from attacks by other animals.

I hope your cat will be o.k.!