Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When does a muzzle and prong collar not suggest *aggressive*?

jawert1
March 24th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Ok rant time, and I apologize in advance for anyone who may take exception to this thread, but I'm seriously sick and tired of doing everything to make sure other's dogs don't get injured, only to have those precautions ignored entirely. I was out walking my 2 tonight, Simon with his pointerblanket on and Peaches decked out in her walking attire. By walking attire, I mean muzzle and hardcore training collar. She's extremely leash aggressive, which I knew when we adopted her. She's fine with completely strange dogs off leash, does wonderfully with them (including my parent's Max - RIP bud). Get that leash on her and she makes Cujo look like the sweetest thing. So as I'm walking along, this lady (who actually lives in my building), comes walking towards us. I moved off the path and down onto the private golf course, all the while using soothing tones and commands on both dogs. She continues to walk at us, getting closer, with her dog on a retractable leash-this is a 80lb or so black lab who's really friendly and she can't pull him back then jokes "looks like you've got your hands full". So rocket scientist, what clued you in, the muzzle or the collar?? Her dog is BARELY under control and what does she then do? Answers her cell phone. As I'm quietly and firmly moving my two away and all I could think of was "do I need to paint a bright orange sign on her?" I've done my best to keep the general public from being harmed in anyway by my dogs on leash - training, muzzles, nasty looking collars, more training. How do I save these people from themselves? I know I don't live in a place like most of you that have to worry if their dog looks at someone funny, they'll be taken away and pts. But still...:confused:

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest, I just don't get it :(

Prin
March 24th, 2006, 06:56 PM
lol No offense, but if I saw hannibal lecter walking with a prong on, I'd probably steer clear...:D

jawert1
March 24th, 2006, 07:00 PM
heheh that's my point exactly, if I saw Peach with that kind of gear, and I didn't know her, I'd be RUNNING the other direction. Thankfully Simon's temperment is such that he only has issues with things that are the size of bunnies (which oddly enough, the bichon he shook at Thanksgiving, he now plays with outside on leash and they do well together)

twodogsandacat
March 24th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I have a dog that does not let dogs near him on leash (becasue he's been attacked a few times).

If I step off of the sidewalk and onto the grass (almost to the road) it is a signal that you :

a) should let your 15 feet of retractable leash out so your dog can get in my dogs face.
b) let your dog of leash.
c) stop, answer your cell phone and give your dog all six foot of leash
d) buy a clue and keep your dog out of my dog's face.

People are stupid.

mastifflover
March 24th, 2006, 07:42 PM
I think maybe you needed a flashing neon sign for this one. I am always amazed by the stupidity of people.

babyrocky1
March 24th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Oh Geeze Ihate C. the cell phone thing....thats the most annoying, and now that rockys muzzled I havae to deal with there OFF leash dog cause they are on the cellphone AHH. Its tough being me ::D

Prin
March 24th, 2006, 10:34 PM
b) let your dog of leash.
Yep, definitely b. :D When I was in the city, the unwritten rule in the parks was if the dog was off leash, it was fair game. No smart person would let a vicious/anti-social dog off-leash in a city park where there are kids and people all around. And if their dog isn't social, and they're off leash, they're gonna learn a harsh lesson really quickly.:evil:

(disclaimer: I only say "they" will learn the lesson because I'm always ready for a fight. Growing up with a dog who would attack anything that slightly resembled a dog keeps you alert...)

dogcatharmony
March 25th, 2006, 11:14 AM
im sorry not too sure about this but my 2 year old Chow/ elkhound has been on a prong collar for over a year. she was attacked twice by another dog and a pet behaviorist showed me how to use the collar because she was way beyond protective after attack. when she has that collar on she minds her manners very well and can be approached by other animals now,she only received one correction and that is all it took. i would have to say that my anxiety of being approached is diminished now and my pooch is happy cuz she gets to have her long walks again. sry if this angers anyone but i know from experience that it works

domesticzookeep
March 25th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I vote for "people are stupid"....would that be e) ??:D

Funny, I always muzzle my fosters at the dog park until I have a better idea of how they react w/ other dogs....and I try to convince people that NO, she/he is NOT aggressive just b/c they are muzzled - it's precautionary.... I'm sure the pit / bully owners would agree, too (only for them in mandatory in ON :mad: )

BUT - you're body language of moving the dogs as far away / try to avoid others should be a pretty clear indication that you're not interested in letting the dogs say "hi" to each other...:rolleyes:

so, yeah, I'd def'n go w/ "people are stupid" :p

C.
:ca: