Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog colds, when to take them to the vet

PetFriendly
March 24th, 2006, 03:10 PM
hi Everyone

I'd like your opinion on something. Charley has had a runny nose for over a week and his eyes have been more runny than usual. Today I noticed that the top of his head is hotter to the touch than the rest of him. He's otherwise fine, eating well, playing hard, body functions are normal, etc.

So my question is, can a cold in a dog just run its course without meds? Or is this the point (hot head that is) where you know the cold is not going away and a visit to the vet is needed?

Prin
March 24th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I always bring them in when they seem fevery (but then again I practically live at the vet). You just don't want to assume it's a cold when it's something else...

PetFriendly
March 24th, 2006, 03:20 PM
And the top of his head being hot would indicate a possible fever, right?

Prin
March 24th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Well, the whole body would be warmer than usual, but I usually check at the base of the ears... The body temp can fluctuate during the day a bit too, so it might just be that. Best thing is to pop a thermometer in there... mmmm....:D

jessi76
March 24th, 2006, 03:24 PM
if your dog has had runny nose/eyes for over a week, I'd head to the vet. especially if there is any color to the discharge.

I don't know about the fever.

PetFriendly
March 24th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Best thing is to pop a thermometer in there... mmmm....:D

That would require two things, having a thermometer, and knowing what the dog's normal temperature is... neither is achievable right now... Off to call the vet we go

PetFriendly
March 24th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I'd head to the vet. especially if there is any color to the discharge.

I don't know about the fever.

There's no colour to any of the discharge.

I just called, since he's warm, they'd like to see him. We have an appointment at 4:20 (I love my vet for that, they keep a few appointments open every day for stuff like this).

I'll let you know what they say when we get back.

Prin
March 24th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Aound 39 degrees C for an adult is a good temp.;) You can use a human one, but be sure to sterilize it like mad afterward (or just designate it the doggy thermometer forever).

PetFriendly
March 24th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Aound 39 degrees C for an adult is a good temp.;) You can use a human one, but be sure to sterilize it like mad afterward (or just designate it the doggy thermometer forever).

good to know, thanks

Your plan b is my plan a. :eek: ;)

PetFriendly
March 24th, 2006, 09:40 PM
$100 later, here's what we know from the vet...

He has an upper respitory infection that likely started as a viral thing. Its probably a bacterial infection, very low grade, at this point. Apparently in small dogs, viral colds often lead to a supressed imune system wich opens the dog up to baterial infections. he's on a low dose of 'amoxicillin' for dogs which will help but might also cause stomach upset, aches, etc (devil you know vs devil you don't).

Prin
March 24th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Yeah, side effects... :rolleyes: I hope he doesn't have to take it for too many days.

For the thermometer, you can get one specific for dogs too... I got my doggy first aid kit from pets.ca and it had one in it. It just starts higher than a regular one.