Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

roundworms infection and risk to owner

Hugh
March 24th, 2006, 08:17 AM
I just found out the spaghetti like thing I found in my english cocker spaniel' stool is a roundworm! I also read its transmissible to humans and can cause blindness. The dog has been dewormed by the breeder and they told me to give her a pill every month, I have only done it yesterday ( had her for a month) didn't think it was very important. The problem is I live with that dog in an apartment, she has pooped all over the place and still does at night when she can't go out. I have wooden floors , can't clean them with water and bleach, she always eat her stool at night so sometimes I don;t see she pooped. Bottom line it's difficult to clean thoroughly. I walk around in flip flops and she constantly bite my toes . I wash my hands before eating anything but it;s impossible to sanitize everything 100% of the time. Otherwise I would be washing myself 50 times a day. I have already broken skin on myhands because of washing them too often. I keep removing stuff from her mouth and and haven't done it with rubber gloves all the time .I have also let her lick and bite my ears .What to do to avoid transmission? This is a risk I simply cannot take, roundworms can cause blindness in humans.

loveyadogs
March 24th, 2006, 08:25 AM
the vet will give you medicine and it shoudl work very very quickly as it did with my dog. what pills did the breeder give you?

Hugh
March 24th, 2006, 08:51 AM
I have got Milbemax pills, I gave her one just yesterday , wel, she did eat it all put the rest in her meal this am she just pooped and there are more of them in it . It's gross and scary. I am petrified that I may have gotten it. She must have had it ever since I got her. Its very possible I swallowed larvae a few times my mouth inadvertently entered in contact with her nose, and that -s how they propagate. Most of the time I rinsed my mouth but you never know. Also so many times I put my hands in her mouth and I have broken skin . What medication can I take to make sure any larvae I got is killed before it spreads in my system? I have had cough for 2 weeks, it could be that already even though I often have cough at this time of year.

loveyadogs
March 24th, 2006, 08:57 AM
call around today to find a vet who can see her today.Take a sample with you to show vet the worm, also take in the pills.
you will be started on a new regimine, we did this and everything was OK! my dog was given I belive 3 small pills, in 2 week increments, and worms were GONE.I have kids and no one caught this

badger
March 24th, 2006, 09:11 AM
I think it's unlikely you are at any real risk. I've had cats with bad roundworms and never gave it a moment's thought, just cleaned up the mess and washed my hands. It is hard to catch anything from an animal (except for maybe ringworm). If it's keeping you awake, buy one of those alcohol-based hand cleaners (the alcohol concentration should be at least 60% for the product to be effective). Do NOT use it on your dog.
What worries me a bit is that you might treat your dog as 'dirty' and fail to give him the TLC he needs at this age. All of his behaviours are normal, including eating his own poop. When you see him digging in, try to distract him or say LEAVE IT or NO. How often are you taking him out, young puppies should not have to wait more than a few hours. Try feeding him earlier in the evening and take him straight outside to do his business, and then again before you go to bed. He should be in a confined space at night so he doesn't have accidents all over the house. There are also special cleaners you can get which kill the smell and discourage him from going in the same spot again.

Do puppies really need to be wormed every month?

I hope he's better soon.

Hugh
March 24th, 2006, 12:22 PM
sorry what's TLC ? The vet says not to worry, he's never heard of any case of blindness. I personally know one case, eye sight loss in one child from suspected worm disease. It's likely I have been in contact with the larvae, she eats her poop then comes and lick me . I am going to eat figs supposedly it kills the rounworms, larvae and eggs . The dog just severed what was left of my fax line... damn !

loveyadogs
March 24th, 2006, 12:30 PM
so you called the vet, when are you going in for the medicine to get rid of the worms?:confused:

mom_to_many
March 24th, 2006, 12:52 PM
TLC= Tender Loving Care. If you are finding more worms after the medication..I think it means it's working. At least that is true in horses. With my cats..the poop is always buried so I do not know if more worms come out or not. I keep the dogs out right after worming due to gas and possible diarrehea (sp)

Hugh
March 24th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I gave her a pill yesterday the vet says it will do. He advised I got dewormed myself if I am really worried, I read there are side effects to these medications though . Now get this , an infected puppy will contaminate the environment for years with infectious eggs that can cause blindness. This is a nightmare, the puppy who eats her own stool has drooled all over my magazines, shelves, couch and what not

Just read about it here. I wish someone would have told me about this. I would have made sure she never get worms.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/toxocara/default.htm

PetFriendly
March 24th, 2006, 02:46 PM
This is a nightmare, the puppy who eats her own stool has drooled all over my magazines, shelves, couch and what not

Solid Gold makes a product that works quite well to help train the dog to stop eating poop. Its called SEP (you guessed it, Stop Eating Poop). You can buy it at stores that sell that make of food or ask at your nearest pet food store if they have something similar.

Just read about it here. I wish someone would have told me about this. I would have made sure she never get worms.

Stop beating yourself up, you didn't give the dog worms, these things happen. Getting all stressed out about it is not going to help. For one, you're going to weaken your own imune system, you're also going to put the pup on edge since they can read your stress. Yes, worms are bad and need to be dealt with, but this is not life ending IMO.

As a small child I apparently got worms. My father claims it was from playing in the sand pile in the back yard (my parents have a hobby farm so we had a 1/2 dumptruck of sand instead of your regular sand box). I don't remember any of it at all, and my mother, other than being embarrased, said the doctor was really nice about and put in the 'crap happens' pile, gave me some medicine and I was, and still am, fine.

jessi76
March 24th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I would have made sure she never get worms.

despite our best efforts, pets (and people) contract illnesses, parasites, bugs. it's a fact of life. The best way of dealing with it is prevention, treatment, and maintainance. Dogs (and other pets) frequently get ticks, fleas, worms, mange, etc... you can't keep your puppy in a plastic bubble. I've not had my dog for 1 year and already we've have 2 bouts of worms, 1 flea infestation, demetric mange, and numerous ticks. We treat & prevent the problem, and carry on enjoying life w/ our pup.

what you CAN do is fix your poop situation, as I'm sure it's not helping matters. Housebreak your puppy, get the poop out of your living space, and break her of the habit of eating it. Although it's VERY common, you can prevent it. Simply be diligent about clean up, if it's not there to eat, she can't eat it. You can also try spraying the poo so it tastes BAD - Bitter Apple spray, a little tabasco sauce, etc...

Hugh
March 25th, 2006, 11:24 AM
It's not quite as bad as I thought, the eggs in the stool can only be infectious 2-3 weeks after excretion, and the mode of transmission is oral only. Thus you get it when you ingest infectious eggs . It's important to wash your hand after handling the pet because its coat can contain eggs as pets play in contaminated areas ( due to themselves or other dogs). There remains I think the risk of contamination from contact with the dog muzzle as larvae travel from the lungs back to the mouth via coughing during their lifecycles. You should not walk your dog on children playgrounds either as they will contaminate the areas for years and could cause a child to go blind. I would think twice before getting a puppy if there are young children in the house. Vets and breeders do not do a good job warning about toxocariasis (roundworms) .

Here are some of the links I found interesting:

http://www.avma.org/reference/zoonosis/zntoxcar.asp

http://www.innvista.com/HEALTH/microbes/parasite/round.htm

http://health.allrefer.com/health/visceral-larva-migrans-info.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?rid=mmed.section.4877

http://www.ajph.org/cgi/content/abstract/70/12/1269

http://www.healthunit.on.ca/factsheets/dp.cfm?action=Fact_Sheets_Details&ContentID=111

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/03/16/earlyshow/living/petplanet/main606616.shtml

mom_to_many
March 25th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Hugh..chill out dude! This site has many many pet owners, many of these pet owners have small children. Have you seen one reply where any of us has caught a disease from our pets?! Relax and enjoy your pup!!
My tongue really hurts now!

PetFriendly
March 25th, 2006, 01:52 PM
It's not quite as bad as I thought,

Its not bad at all...

I would think twice before getting a puppy if there are young children in the house. Vets and breeders do not do a good job warning about toxocariasis (roundworms) .

you're taking years off your life by worrying so much... If your child contracting roundworm from a pet is your biggest worry, then you're doing well.

It appears as though you might have missed the bigger problem here... Your dog is not yet house broken, it might have seperation anxiety, and it eats its own poop... Those are problems to worry about and dwell on... Those are problems you should look into fixing... Never mind the worm thing, focus on the bigger, fixable stuff.

Hugh
March 31st, 2006, 04:22 PM
Excuse me but the risks a dog can pose to your health and how to reduce those risks is a whole lot more important than whether the dog suffers from separation anxiety or eats its poop! I may be worrying too much but some of you live in lalaland. Not everything about puppies and dogs is cute and fun

LM1313
March 31st, 2006, 06:00 PM
Do you walk around in public places? The human beings around you are far more likely to give you a horrible disease or parasite than your dog is. Children in particular can be carriers if they haven't been trained to wash their hands after using the toilet and cover their mouths when they sneeze. But you wouldn't freak out and avoid the park because there are children in it, would you?

Relax. You're fretting about theoretical problems while your dog is having REAL problems, namely eating poop!

lpn169
April 1st, 2006, 12:13 AM
I'm sorry, I'm not making fun of your concerns. While the majority of us do not see this as a major issue, if it concerns you, than it is relevant, ........but, as I read this post....this is what I thought of,
Has anyone ever seen the TV show Monk?.........Read this and envisioned Monk getting a puppy :p

White Wolf
April 1st, 2006, 12:23 AM
This thread has run its course and will now be closed.