Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hello

danicadlt
March 23rd, 2006, 06:26 PM
hi, I am new here. I have a 2 yr old mixed lab with 8 puppies. we have a parakeet also but I am visiting today on behalf of my dog abby. her puppies were born on the first and I need to know when I should start giving them puppy food and water? wnd does anyone have any tips on keeping them cleaner? I have them in my garden tub because I felt it was too cold for them outside. abby cleans up their mess somewhat but I am bathing them at least once everyday because they end up covered from head to toe in each others messes. any advice on how to make the next 4 weeks easier would be appreciated. thanks!

Lucky Rescue
March 23rd, 2006, 09:05 PM
The puppies are 4 weeks and can start eating some dog food moistened with warm water, about 4 times a day. You're going to have big major messes and expenses from now on, and you can't put tiny puppies outside if you live in a cold climate.

The puppies need to all be dewormed and vaccinated now.

You're going to have a hard time finding good homes for them all, so you better start trying to line up responsible adopters now.

Please get your dog spayed. I have no idea why you are breeding mongrels, but there are around 13,000 Labs and mixes homeless on Petfinder already and they won't all find homes.

Good luck.

danicadlt
March 24th, 2006, 01:43 PM
thank you for the information...I have already bought their shot but they said not to give them until 6 weeks. abby will be fixed after she is done feeding her pups.... she went into heat earlier than I expected, which is no excuse I should have had her fixed sooner. I am already trying to find people to adopt the puppies....but of course I am having a hard time finding people I know will take care of them. we moved here in aug so I dont know very many people but hopefully my family members will help out to help find people. am I spoiling these pups by bathing them everyday and playing with them all and letting them knowme? I will be keeping one maybe two of them (we live in the country and have land). I wish I could keep them all but its just not possible :sorry:

Lucky Rescue
March 24th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Don't bathe puppies every day. There is no need for it and you will be severely drying out their skin and coats.

To responsibly adopt out these puppies,(no earlier than 10 weeks old) you need to use an adoption contract, and charge at least 200$ adoption fee, which INCLUDES the cost of spay neuter which you should do before sending them to their new homes as you dont' want to be responsible for countless generations of more unwanted puppies being born..

If you give them away for free, they could end up being experimented on in laboratories, among other horrible fates.

If you don't have an adoption contract, pm me with your email addy and I"ll send you one, plus give you some tips of questions to ask potential adopters.

she went into heat earlier than I expected, which is no excuse I should have had her fixed sooner.
You're right, that's no excuse, but you can try and mitigate this mistake by making sure these puppies are adopted out properly.

Where are you located?

danicadlt
March 24th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Im in joshua, texas and no I dont have an adoption agreement and do you think people will pay that much for a mutt puppy? cant I go to paws for claws and get the fixed for cheaper? or the humane society? Ive always adopted my dogs before abby so they were always fixed when I got them. and of course I dont want them going anywhere where they will be hurt. if I cant bathe them everyday then what can I do to get the mess off them? I dont use soap just water. thank you for being so nice and helpful.:)

danicadlt
March 24th, 2006, 06:21 PM
it wont let me pm yet sorry

phoenix
March 24th, 2006, 08:55 PM
regarding the mess- try to encourage the dog to clean the puppies. If she won't, use a terry facecloth, dampen it, and wipe them. By bathing it sounded like you were immersing them in water; don't do that.
Re. the spay/neuter- if you can do it for cheaper, great. Try that. In Ontario things tend to be more expensive it seems. It is the responsible thing to do- end the cycle now and have them fixed before they leave you, and just charge the new owner what it cost you to have them fixed plus a little more. This is so that they don't end up going to someone who can't afford to properly take care of them, or worse, a lab testing facility.
Puppies are HARD to take care of- especially with a young mommy dog who doesn't have the instinct/readiness to do her part. Good for you for having her fixed asap. This is going to be an expensive lesson for you.

Lucky Rescue
March 24th, 2006, 10:11 PM
do you think people will pay that much for a mutt puppy?

A good home will. They will know that dogs are expensive if taken care of properly, and that 150$ - 200$ is a mere token to pay for a healthy puppy that is already spay/neutered and vaccinated. If someone wont' take a puppy unless it's free, it's doubtful they will spend a cent on it if it gets sick or hurt and may just dump it on the roadside or at the pound. I see this all the time.

You'll have to work harder to keep the puppies and their area clean. If left in their mess, they will be near impossible to housetrain.

As soon as they are finished their vaccinations, you'll need to socialize them to people, dogs, kids etc. to ensure that they won't be shy or skittish.

IF you can get them spayed/neutered at a discount, even better!

danicadlt
March 27th, 2006, 09:59 PM
how many times should the mom be feeding her pups at 4 weeks? we moved them outside yesterday since it has warmed up and she doesnt go to the dog house except to check on them. if they try to feed she walks away from them. I am giving them food but shouldnt she be feeding them some for a couple more weeks?:confused:

jesse's mommy
March 27th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I don't have much advice to give, but please bring mom and pups back inside. There are too many dangers and disease outside for them. They don't have vaccinations yet and really need to be safe and cared for inside.

Bushfire2000
March 27th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Hello and welcome.
I don't have any feeding advice.
I don't know what the temperature is in Texas right now, but if you can't bring the pups and mom inside, you could put a heat lamp in the dog house. My sister in law heats a dog house this way. Also regarding cleaning someone suggested, in another thread, straw outside would make doggy poop easier to clean up and keep the spring mud to a minimum. It might be worth a try, when those pups start running around, there will be a big mess to clean.

CyberKitten
March 28th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Little puppies who are still babies after all really need heat (even in Texas) and should be inside in a safe and sound and WARM place with their mom. That may well ecxplain why they are dirtier than usual - since puppies usually are well cared for that way by their moms and we humans only need to wash them occasinally to keep their skin healthy.

Even if you have a warm laundry room or somewhere where they will feel comfortable - there so way too many dangers outdoors!

Good luck finding good homes - I know it will be a struggle but operhaps if you work with a local rescue group (They may give you a courtesy listing?) or ideas? Certainly, srart with Lucky's contract - and pls do not advertise them for free!! That is the worst possible option! That almost means a sure bet to either a bad home, a lab that will experiemnet on them, some cruel person who does not care that much or cannot really afford them or worse fates! (to quote Lucky) . But please bring them indoors asap!!!!

badger
March 28th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Yes, please bring them inside, where you can keep a close eye on them and deal with any problems that come up. Babies can go downhill fast, plus outside they are exposed to organisms that their tender systems may not be able to deal with yet. Just think: vet bills, and avoidance of same (over and above the cost of vaccinating, dworming, neutering, etc.)
I'm not sure if females are immediately fertile after giving birth (like cats) but if so, you don't want any more accidents! In fact, you should be making arrangements now to rush your sweetie in for her op the minute the puppies are weaned.

benuasalbarb
March 31st, 2006, 05:08 AM
hi there,

I have had litters of pups (rough Collies) by 4 weeks the puppies should be almost weened the mum should just top them up after they have been fed.
Have you cut the pups nails they will be very sharp and hurt the mum's teats.
I use a brand puppy porridge at that age it has everything the pups need.
I do not bathe my pups but they are in the kitchen with us in a puppy pen so we clean them up as they make the mess. Once the pups eat food the mum will stop cleaning them up. Regards speying I know in this country they won't spey until arround 3:) months after the birth the womb has to return to normal.
I can't believe anybody would suggest speying puppies at such a young age itis a major op and has risks. Puppies will not come into season before 6 months and the bitch will not be fertile for at least 6 months either.
Good luck in finding good homes for your puppies I do agree that you should charge. If someone can't pay for a pup then they can't afford to feed or pay vet bills either. If you want something you will pay for it .