Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dutch couple face fines for barking doorbell!!

lezzpezz
March 23rd, 2006, 03:40 PM
Ha Ha Ha!!! Too funny:crazy:

Dutch couple face pet tax for barking doorbell
Mar. 23, 2006. 10:13 AM

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) The Bruintjes family says a city inspector was barking up the wrong tree when he handed them a bill for the equivalent of $110 Cdn for the Dutch dog tax.

The family insists it does not have a dog only a barking doorbell.

It was the second consecutive year in which the family has had a run-in with authorities over their doorbell, which plays 15 different barking noises, the Dutch news media reported Thursday.

"Last year it was a huge effort to convince the inspector that we didn't have a dog, and now it's happened again," Gerrit Bruintjes was quoted as saying by RTL Nieuws.

In the Netherlands, dog owners are required to pay the hondenbelasting, a hated annual tax that is frequently evaded.

After pressing the doorbell and hearing the barks, the inspector in the city of Oldenzaal simply pushed a bill through the family's mail slot.

"My wife came home shortly afterward and was able to grab the inspector at the end of our street. After a lot of yipping and yapping, she was finally able to convince him," Bruintjes said.

He said he had chosen the doorbell in honour of the family's German shepherd, which died several years ago.

Melei'sMom
March 23rd, 2006, 06:44 PM
:D too funny!

Prin
March 23rd, 2006, 10:16 PM
lol that's a good idea for a doorbell... I've got two already, but I pay about $60 in food costs to keep 'em barking... Batteries would be cheaper.