Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

job loss is near :(

Rottielover
March 23rd, 2006, 10:45 AM
OMG, what else can go wrong this year. Our deptartment had 22 people. As of tomorrow they are downsizing to 5. Well thank god I still have my job for now...
But they have explained to the people who are left that there is no way to promise our jobs will be safe.
I am a single mom, with a Rott. I do not know what to do. I started to put money aside for when it happens.
Buying biggers bags of dog food, more at a time. Make sure Harley has food.
I am freaking out. They say from anywhere 2 weeks till 6 months. Then we are borrowing time.
I started to look for jobs online as I work, but I have no time to go out and look....Freaking out here,
Harley will not be continuing to Competition level OB, I need the money. But we will be working very hard at.

angie79
March 23rd, 2006, 11:10 AM
what industry are you in may be some one here knows of job openings and can help you get in!!!!

most of job hunting is who you know some jobs never make it to the papers!!!

doggy lover
March 23rd, 2006, 11:13 AM
I've been working at the same company for 24 years and in all those years we had never experienced a lay off until last year. I work in a Nursing home and due to empty beds we lost funding for staff, yeah they still expected your job to be done and but added more jobs on us, it was crazy. I always believed we were safe, it was a new awakening for me. Thankfully our numbers are up now and we have our staffing back but it could happen again.

Rottielover
March 23rd, 2006, 11:20 AM
I am in an office. I am a data analyst. But I have been in pet retail ( equipement) before that

poodletalk
March 23rd, 2006, 03:44 PM
What does a data analyst do? I am looking for people, but it's in sales.

OntarioGreys
March 25th, 2006, 02:19 AM
Oh that is terrible, I am finishing off 3 weeks of layoff but my layoffs are just temporary for me it was actually welcomed relief after working 6 day weeks for over a year, The place I work for has busy and slow periods so having temporary layoffs become part of the job when thing get real slow I may work 3 week and be off 2 weeks and it can go like that for 2 or 3 years, so what I did was start a home based business to help me financially through the slow periods.

If you have a computer at home you might be able to set your self up to do some partitme freelance from home, it may not be much of a help right at the moment, but can helps to provide a bit more financial security in the future and allows you to write off some of you living expenses which reduces your taxes

I know temp jobs don't pay all that well but may keep you going until you find a permanent job and sometimes they can lead to permanent positions, I know there are companies here that will only hire thru temp agencies, they will bring in new potential employee thru the tmp agency, sort of like a test drive before commiting themselve to hire the person.

I wish you luck and hopefully you can find something before your other job ends.