Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Let there be Dragons

dragon_queen
March 22nd, 2006, 11:36 PM
Her Name was Lola.... This is a 1 1/2 year old australian Water Dragon ( female) I have had her for 9 months and I am hping to breed her to my male Bandit

dragon_queen
March 22nd, 2006, 11:39 PM
This is Bandit a 6 year old Australian Water dragon I have had for 3 years.

BMDLuver
March 23rd, 2006, 06:57 AM
Great pics.. I don't think I would have one as a pet but they are fascinating creatures.

jiorji
March 23rd, 2006, 07:06 PM
hahah I love the first picture

Writing4Fun
March 23rd, 2006, 09:45 PM
Very cool! I was going to post some pics I took recently of my sister's bearded dragon, but hubby took off with the camera & CF card. :mad: Oh well. Maybe tomorrow. I love reptiles, but I hate their diets (buckets of little wiggly things in my fridge, crickets hopping all over the house). :yuck: I'd so need to get a complete vegitarian! :p

iRONKNiGHT
March 24th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I love reptiles, but I hate their diets (buckets of little wiggly things in my fridge, crickets hopping all over the house). :yuck: I'd so need to get a complete vegitarian! :p
one word for ya ;) " I G U A N A "

Thanks for posting pic's of your Water Dragon he's a cutie :) i love all lizzy's

Prin
March 24th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Cute, in their own way... :) I have the same little dish as in the first pic but I use mine to hold m&m's...:D

badger
March 24th, 2006, 01:02 AM
I'm a reptile lover as well but writer4 I so agree with you about wiggly things in the fridge; ain't gonna happen. I once walked into a pet store (long time ago) when they were giving the rattlesnake his weekly meal of a live white mouse. People were packed six deep around the tank to watch the 'spectacle'. I saw nothing and almost fainted on the spot.

dragon_queen
March 24th, 2006, 08:49 AM
I feed my dragons a bit of everything, they are omnivors. I don't feed them live mice, too gross for me, frozen is the was to go, super worms, silk worms, butter worms, fruit and veg. No more live crickets, I managed to catch the ones that got out. You can now buy bugs in a can, no more chasing them around the room. Woo hoo. LOL
My Bro has 2 iguanas, but they are kinda big for me, his male is 7 1/2 pounds. He's a rescue and has a broken tail but is still about 4 feet long. They can bite you bad, whip you with their tail and scratch you with their nails. Not a pet for kids. I was bitten once by My chinese dragon (gone now :( ) It hurt enough and they climb so they need their nails, I get scratched sometimes when I take them out ( but not too bad, they don't have the weight behind them, Bandit only weighs 1 1/2 pounds). Anyway, they are my babies and i love them.

Dq

mom_to_many
March 24th, 2006, 11:20 AM
OK..stupid question as I know nothing about lizards...are these the type where the neck fans out and they can run like really fast on their hind legs?? I always like watching them on TV, fascinating critters!

dragon_queen
March 24th, 2006, 11:56 AM
OK..stupid question as I know nothing about lizards...are these the type where the neck fans out and they can run like really fast on their hind legs?? I always like watching them on TV, fascinating critters!
Hi mom to many,
No, they do not have a dulap (the neck fans out on my bros Iguanas)
They do not run on their hind legs that i know of, they can move fast though.
I have chased they around my room when i let them out, the baby chinese water dragons are really fast. I bred those before. i think it's the basilik that runs on water.

mom_to_many
March 24th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I see! Well, anyways, they are kinda cute in a lizard sort of way! I'll have to keep my son away from this thread...he'll want one! But with 6 cats...hmmmm..no! :)

Writing4Fun
March 24th, 2006, 02:09 PM
one word for ya ;) " I G U A N A "
Knight! Where ya been, man?!

Yeah, thanks but no thanks. A friend had a pair of iggies. One 6ft and the other 4ft. They were litter trained and spent their days sunning themselves in the bay window. Somehow, I think Phoebe would object. :p I was contemplating a beardie, if I could stick to canned or frozen creepy crawlies. The meal worms stay dormant when they're in the fridge. It's the live ones I can't abide. :eek:

MTM, I believe you're looking for the frilled lizard (http://www.arazpa.org.au/Education_FactSheets_FrilledLizard.htm). They are also Australian, like the beardie.

Writing4Fun
March 24th, 2006, 02:42 PM
As promised, here's a pic of my sister's beardie, Rhyhorn.

Prin
March 24th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Why Rhyhorn, what nice pricklies you have under your chin...:o

Writing4Fun
March 24th, 2006, 03:24 PM
That would be the "beard" in "bearded dragon". ;)

Prin
March 24th, 2006, 03:26 PM
lol I kind of figured.. Are they hard? Or is it just like soft skin that comes to a point?

Writing4Fun
March 24th, 2006, 03:30 PM
LOL! I've never gotten close enough to find out. He didn't take well to hand-taming. :rolleyes: I believe they're quite prickly. If I'm not mistaken, they're a defense mechanism - he fans them out when he's feeling stressed.

amber416
March 24th, 2006, 08:27 PM
They're soft! Well, i don't make a habbit out of touching Frank when he's puffed out and all irritated, but they are quite soft, almost rubbery, otherwise. I love the dragons, they are very cute. I hated feeding crickets when Frank was a baby...the worms aren't fun either. Now that he's older, he is able to eat mainly greens/vegetables, so that is very nice.

Franky

Frenchy
March 24th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Cool pictures guys.But are they cuddly?I mean are they affectionate?I could never own a pet that didn't like cudles!And do they play with eachothers?

iRONKNiGHT
March 25th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Rhyhorn and Franky are awesomeeeee critters :) they're just too cute :) thanks for sharing.. amber and W4F....