Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question for dog rescues

Rottielover
March 22nd, 2006, 01:38 PM
I agree, and disagree, I know I am a very responsible owner, many references to check, and I live in apartment. I walk my dog number of times a day on leash, as well as OB train my dog to the point we may even compete. But no rescue would even consider me other than the spca.
It is too bad though, my next one I would have loved to adopt. But I will be the same I am now.
having help work in rescue, the group I helped with wood look at the yard, but also the references, did a home check, spoke to neighbors. I believe the most important thing is to find the responsible home. And the best home for the dog. Just because you have a fenced yard does not make you the best home for the dog.
Many people who have yards, do not walk the dog, just play in the yard. Or they do not take the dog to OB...
I am sorry, this upset me, because before getting Harley I looked into 2 rescues. I was refused both places because of no yard. :( This was long before I chose Harley, this was before I went to the SPCA, and they said anything to get me to adopt.
I know what I can and could do for a dog, so why was I getting turned down :(

Lucky Rescue
March 22nd, 2006, 02:14 PM
Just because you have a fenced yard does not make you the best home for the dog.

I agree, and I would never base the decision solely on if someone had a fenced yard or not.

Many people with fences just leave the dog out there day and night and never walk it or even give it much attention. I see this all the time in my neighbourhood.

I have fostered dogs and adopted one when I had no fence, even from rescues who required fences as they knew after speaking with me that I am a responsible person and would walk the dog every day at least once and wouldn't let it run free.

I think the decision needs to be based on many factors and not just the fence part. A fenced yard is not necessary to have a happy and safe dog.

chico2
March 22nd, 2006, 04:07 PM
One good example is Bailey that I walk,she's let out in the backyard alone,to this day I have not seen the owners walk her.
Bailey will go and do her thing,then she just lays on the bench looking our way:sad: When I come to take her for a walk,she is sooo happy,her little butt is wiggeling a mile a minute.My son,used to walk his JRT morning and night,now when they are in a house,he NEVER walks Kita,or the 13yr old Sheltie he now has.
If I was a rescue,I think I would sooner give a dog to someone in an apartment,since it means they have to take the dog for a walk.

LL1
March 22nd, 2006, 04:24 PM
It would depend on the dog,and the rescue.Not all rescues have the same rules.Some will not adopt to people with intact dogs,or people who have gotten rid of pets for behavioral reasons before,or those with outside dogs,or who allow cats outside,or declaw,some will not adopt to those without fenced yards.All rescues are different.

mesaana
March 22nd, 2006, 04:38 PM
Not all rescues have the same rules. I know it's frustrating. But I'm in an apartment too and my dog is from an all-breed rescue. I take her out for actual walks 3 times a day. And I take her to the dog park to play offleash with other dogs. I think overall I'm a pretty good dog owner :)

Plus I volunteer with Quebec Golden Rescue and we look at applications on a case by case basis. We don't have any absolute rule about yards. Actually, I strongly disagree with that rule exactly because of dogs that never get out of their yard (although I understand why some rescues have it, and if they have plenty of great applicants that meet this criteria, they really have no reason to change it).

Also, I occasionnally do home visits for another purebred rescue and I've done some visits in apartments: obviously, that's not an issue for them either since at least one that I know of was a successful adoption.

If you let us know what you're looking for, maybe we can help?

Lyne

SnowDancer
March 22nd, 2006, 04:40 PM
Well, I spoke with 3 Toronto area rescues. First question was if I had a fenced yard - I replied no, that I had a yard, but not fenced, but it would not matter as dog would never, ever be off leash in yard - hounds dig under fences no matter what. Two hung up on me, the third was about to when I stopped her and gave her my references including our top Toronto vet practice of over 20 years and neuro from Guelph - didn't matter - no fenced yard - no rescue -therefore no dog from rescue ever for me. My vet was appalled. And to think that our current dog is only one of 2 that we did not "rescue" through her. So I guess our little Eskimo lucked out. Just as well, Eskie puppies are hard and I am pretty sure he would have ended up in a rescue - good thing we go to him first.

Lucky Rescue
March 22nd, 2006, 04:49 PM
Two hung up on me, the third was about to when I stopped her and gave her my references including our top Toronto vet practice of over 20 years and neuro from Guelph - didn't matter - no fenced yard - no rescue -therefore no dog from rescue ever for me.

Wow. Sorry to hear that. If that had happened to me, my dog would probably still be in Ontario and dead by now, instead of warming my sofa and living the life of a queen.

mesaana
March 22nd, 2006, 05:00 PM
So sorry to hear that, SnowDancer. But please don't eliminate rescues forever. We're really not all like that...

mastifflover
March 22nd, 2006, 05:41 PM
It is true they are not all the same. When I got Bud it was through the Mastiff rescue out west. We did most of it over the phone and by email. Yes one of the first questions was about a fenced yard. I said no I live in a loft and my dog goes for at least 2 walks a day. She phoned my references and my vet and was satisfied that I was a candidate. The rescue said they base it on a case by case situation it helped that I had a Mastiff previously. They actually did the home visit when they brought Buddy since he came from Montreal the foster did the home visit. This is not there normal practice of when they do a home visit but she said she was pretty sure that even without the home visit my references were very good especially from my vet who worked with me through bringing Boo back to good health. So don't give up not all rescues, most have the same the rules may but they are not written in stone. I think it depends on how crazed they are too remember these people are mostly volunteers and also have jobs and lives when possible. Most rescuers are angels in human form:pawprint:

Prin
March 22nd, 2006, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I hear you all. I got turned down for an 8 year old great dane because I'm a student. It doesn't matter that my man works full time or that we have a house with a yard, I'm a student. But I've heard since that nobody gets dogs from that rescue, so it's not all my fault...

Rottielover, aren't you having troubles getting by? I mean, I don't mean to pick, but you've complained before that you are having trouble and with another baby on the way, you wouldn't worry about being able to care for a second dog too?

Frenchy
March 22nd, 2006, 05:55 PM
I'm with the same rescue that Mesaana,with us its case by case.A nice couple adopted a golden "from me".They live in an appartment,with all the experience they had,already own another dog,had a dogwalker for the lunch break,walk their dogs 3 times a day for a total of 2-3 hours.Who could ask for anything more??The ones that I personnaly don't really like are people with unfenced yard that would tie the dog outside.It's a no no for me.

barb_kemsley
March 22nd, 2006, 06:16 PM
I agree with Mesaana and Frenchy. I have done many home visits for several different rescues. Not all rescues have the same restrictions. I did one home check and the group was very specific on the adopters having a fenced in yard and if it wasnt, was it going to be? Any openings in the yard for the dog to get out? etc. Another home visit was on a farm and the rescue just wanted to know if the place was clean and free of hazards. They weren't concerned about fencing at all, more that it was a good home and responsible owners.

OntarioGreys
March 22nd, 2006, 09:59 PM
Sometimes it depnds on the type of breed, the ease of finding apartments that will accept dogs in your area as well as the indiviual rescues policies , for example most greyhounds are very lazy and really don't need to expend a lot of energy, a couple 15 minutes walks and 1 half hour walk is usually sufficent exercise, because their energy levels are low they are considered ideal as apartment pets, so most rescues do adopt of apartment owners, there are going to be a few groups who feel that greys should have a fenced yard or because the particular group finds that apartment owners tend to have difficult finding places to rent as as a result they get a higher number of returns so decided not to adopt to renters, but it does not seem to be an issue with most group in an surounding Quebec.

All the greyhound adoptions groups that I know of in Ontario do adopt to renters but thay also take in consideration the individual dogs energy levels.

So if you prefer big dogs , living in an apartment would not be an issue when it comes to adopting a greyhound, and you have already proved you are commited to walking . My male greyhound used to enjoy playing with rottis, labs and dobes when he was younger(never could figure out why but he seem to have a prefer for playing the big black short coated dogs)

The Quebec rescue

http://www.greyhoundrescue.bigstep.com/homepage.html

This group that has its center in Vermont but also places greyhound in Quebec they likey have volunteers in Quebec to handle placements, I noted in their FAQ pages reference to the greys doing well in apartments, Though I am not sure how active they currently are as a rescue
http://www.vtgreys.org/

The other place in Vermont has a kennel which is a nice way to meet the dogs beforehand, they adopted to a person in Ontario so out of country adoptions should not be an issue. http://www.northerngreyhoundadoptions.org/availablegreys.htm

Depending where you are in Quebec you may find some US groups that are closer, there are also 2 tracks in New Hampshire (Seabrook and Hinsdale)
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/directory/list.cfm

Some other people here may have suggestions on other breeds that tend to adapt easily to apartment life and know of rescues that may be near you that adopt to renters.

I put down info about greyhounds, simply because of my own involvement in greyhound resuce and know that the majority of groups throughtout North America do adopt to renters.

Rottielover
March 23rd, 2006, 07:34 AM
OMG I am not PG, and I do not want to adopt now. This is what happened before I got Harley. And in long term later...I Am not getting another dog now, for a long time, or even wait till harley passes on. This is what I went through before, I quote before...LOL.
I AM NOT PG...no more kids for me, ever, just furry ones, LOL

AshleyMic
March 23rd, 2006, 08:42 AM
Hi Everyone
We adopted Dale through a rescue and at the time we lived in an apartment but it had a huge park right outside so I think that may have helped our case. We now live in a house with a fenced in backyard, we do take Dale out there and let him run off leash but only after he has gone for his walks to the park. I do not think it is fair not to give someone a dog just because they live in an apartment, just as long as the dog they want would be appropriate for apartment living. I hope the rescues who turn down apartment people realize they could be turning down people who would provide a truly loving home.
What a shame.
Dale's Mom

LL1
March 23rd, 2006, 09:30 PM
Most rescues that I know of would adopt a dog to an apt,provided the people would be a good match,and the dog would fit in an apt lifestyle.

Prin
March 23rd, 2006, 10:22 PM
OMG I am not PG, and I do not want to adopt now. This is what happened before I got Harley. And in long term later...I Am not getting another dog now, for a long time, or even wait till harley passes on. This is what I went through before, I quote before...LOL.
I AM NOT PG...no more kids for me, ever, just furry ones, LOL
ok.. For some reason I thought you posted you were preggers in another thread a while ago but I guess it wasn't you.

catsnatcher-CDN
March 24th, 2006, 08:25 AM
If Lucky Rescue was turned down when trying to rescue a siamese, I'm not surprised if you were turned down for a dog.

It seems like they are very rigid in their adoption process. They must be following a checklist process rather than making judgment calls.

domesticzookeep
March 24th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I agree w/ most of the comments - there are certainly a lot of rescues with 'arbitrary' inflexible rules :rolleyes:
I know many groups would not adopt a puppy to me, as I work during the day (even though I can get home to let the little one out at lunch - and have raised several).

Our group has more 'loosely based' guidelines, and would try to assess whether the dog is suitable for an apartment. I had a really great family looking to adopt a pointer x puppy from us - they were a great family & really would have been perfect - except they lived in an apt- and the puppy was VERY vocal & active. The second family putting an app in for the puppy was another fantastic family - but they had a huge, fully fenced backyard.
In many cases, it's not that the rescue won't adopt out to people in apt's - but if two families are relatively 'equal' as good candidates - and one has a yard - and the other does not....the yard may tip the app in their favour...

Don't rule out all rescues - good rescues should be able to assess a strong candidate based on the overall ability / experience and match it to the needs of a dog - not just on the dwelling type...