Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A "bring your dog to work" job

HunterXHunter
March 22nd, 2006, 12:04 PM
I'm considering quitting my current stable, but sometimes boring job at a government building for one that (probably) pays a bit less, but *may* allow me to bring Hunter to work. I said "*may*" because your dog needs to pass a screening test type thing to see if it's potty trained, has behavioural problems, etc. and it would suck if I got a lower paying job, and wasn't allowed to bring my dog to work with me :( . Plus, I can't tell them "I'll only take the job, if my dog passes the tests too" at the interview...

...or can I?

I just want to see what your opinions are on this topic and what would you choose?

-Glen

dogbyte40
March 22nd, 2006, 12:21 PM
Hi'
do you think your dog will pass the test?
Ange

HunterXHunter
March 22nd, 2006, 12:38 PM
Well, he DOES get jumpy and overly excited sometimes and if Murphy's Law is correct (and I believe it is) it might only be a 50/50 chance of him passing :pawprint: plus, I don't know the details of the tests and exactly what is done so...

SnowDancer
March 22nd, 2006, 12:50 PM
I also live in Toronto. Last night my husband told me of an article he had read in paper re a company allowing employees to take their dogs to work, provided of course they "passed the tests" - the biggest test apparently being the ability to get along with the owner's dog! Having worked for owner's and Presidents of companies, I can pretty much guarantee that the only dog who won't get along with anyone will be said owner's dog! Personally I think a doggie daycare facility located on company premises would be a better idea. Somehow I just can't see dogs sitting under every desk keeping quiet. They would want attention, need walks etc. - and of course want to defind Mommy or Daddy from co-workers who they instinctively knew were out to get them. It would also be hard in a corporate environment - I worked in M & A and wealth management - just couldn't see it happening in such as environment. You might also miss the benefits (pension) of working for the government. We did not have a pension plan in any of the companies I worked for - go figure that one. And if you are making less money - in a smaller company that probably won't have as many benefits as your current job, I think you will be unhappy in the long term. Unless of course you can find a job that you really want and can afford to take the loss in income. But again, I really think a doggie daycare would be the way to go. I know some companies in the US have them - just like on-site day care.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 23rd, 2006, 08:53 PM
In my new job I am going to bring Joey to work as I work from home -:D

dogbyte40
March 23rd, 2006, 10:53 PM
:eek: socialize, socialize, socialize get him out and expose him to as many different people and places as you can until the test.
you can go to the mall and easily be in there for 1/2 an hour before you will be asked to leave.lol. practice your sit, stay over and over till he gets it. Then go take the test.:fingerscr :ca:

mummummum
March 25th, 2006, 09:43 PM
GET OUT! GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN !! SAVE...yourselfffff.... Sorry - that was my twenty-seven, three months and eighteen days of working for The Government talking. Seriously - you are young, your skillset is very portable, the guv will rehire you (they don't put you on a DNR list as long as leave under amicable circumstances) and you can buy back your lost pension time if you do go back. If you are being headhunted and the new company really wants you, you can negotiate anything you want - tell them you would like to put your doggie thru their "acceptance test" B4 you give them your answer. Sigh...lucky you.

HunterXHunter
March 27th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Well, I applied, so I guess it's just the waiting game now...

HunterXHunter
April 10th, 2006, 03:30 PM
You know what...this is funny, because I got an interview, but I also just got a raise at work that will be effective May 1st...

What do I do now? LOL (I think I'll keep my current job, but go for the interview anyway just so it doesn't look like I'm wasting their time on purpose...)

Prin
April 10th, 2006, 03:33 PM
lol depends what kind of raise (it has to be the kind that makes your job worthwhile).

HunterXHunter
April 10th, 2006, 03:39 PM
$1 per/hr raise....pretty good stuff...although it wouldn't really change my lifestyle or anything...I'm still packing a lunch so that Hunter can get high-end dog food :pawprint:

Prin
April 10th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Aw. That's sweet... But you know that high end stuff is not as expensive as it looks, eh? You feed less and go to the vet less... So you don't have to brown bag it every day..:o