Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boxer with frostbite

kiara1
March 22nd, 2006, 09:21 AM
Good Morning
My 2 year old boxer has just been diagnosed with frostbite on his nipples and scrotum. He is a pampered indoor dog, but when he is playing outside in the winter, he insists on lying down in the snow or on the ice perodically despite how cold it may be outside.
My questions are if anyone has run into this problem before, what I can do in the future to make long outdoor walks or outdoor playtime with him in the winter possible - and also if anyone may know of any specialty dog jackets which may help to keep him warm and protected.
Thanks!!!!!

happycats
March 22nd, 2006, 09:38 AM
My neighbor has 2 boxers, and she puts sweaters or coats on them when it's really cold, or if they are outside for any length of time. She bought the coats and sweaters at Walmart.

I hope your Boxer feels better soon:)

phoenix
March 22nd, 2006, 10:47 AM
I have a boxer too, and she is very susceptible to the cold. The problems are that a) boxers have very deep chests and are very hard to fit in coats. I had a coat made for Maia. b) Coats don't protect 'down there' because they are cut to allow the dog to pee.

So, I guess you just need to keep an eye on your dog and not let him stay in the snow too long. Boxers are just not suited to staying out in the cold.

SnowDancer
March 22nd, 2006, 01:18 PM
Do you live in Toronto by any chance?

mastifflover
March 22nd, 2006, 01:28 PM
Try ColassalCainines website they cater to large and giant breeds and are the only one of a few places that cater to these dogs and the stuff is nice.

kiara1
March 22nd, 2006, 01:56 PM
Do you live in Toronto by any chance?

About 2 hours north of Toronto actually, where abouts are you?

kiara1
March 22nd, 2006, 02:00 PM
I have a boxer too, and she is very susceptible to the cold. The problems are that a) boxers have very deep chests and are very hard to fit in coats. I had a coat made for Maia. b) Coats don't protect 'down there' because they are cut to allow the dog to pee.

So, I guess you just need to keep an eye on your dog and not let him stay in the snow too long. Boxers are just not suited to staying out in the cold.

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
We were able to find some jackets a few years ago that do fit our pups by Fido Fleece (you can get them at Pet Valu if you need one again) - but you're right, they don't protect down there. :)
Take care and thanks again

kiara1
March 22nd, 2006, 02:02 PM
Try ColassalCainines website they cater to large and giant breeds and are the only one of a few places that cater to these dogs and the stuff is nice.

Thanks for the info, I'll check them out. :)

kiara1
March 22nd, 2006, 02:03 PM
My neighbor has 2 boxers, and she puts sweaters or coats on them when it's really cold, or if they are outside for any length of time. She bought the coats and sweaters at Walmart.

I hope your Boxer feels better soon:)

Thanks for the info :)

SnowDancer
March 22nd, 2006, 05:46 PM
My dog's Groomer has had Boxers for years - she carries the Canine Equipment coats etc. (as well as other brands). When we had Dachshunds they were very deep chested - but as they weighed only 10 lbs. it was hard finding a coat that fit. Our Eskimo has a Canine Equipment fleece jacket that fits him well. One of the ladies has a male Weim with a well fitting Canine Eq. coat as well. The Groomer's year old Boxer is in love with my dog's tush and her older female is in love with me, aka "The Cookie Giver". I asked if you lived in Toronto because I was going to refer you to her salon/store since she has so much experience with Boxers.

kiara1
March 23rd, 2006, 07:59 AM
My dog's Groomer has had Boxers for years - she carries the Canine Equipment coats etc. (as well as other brands). When we had Dachshunds they were very deep chested - but as they weighed only 10 lbs. it was hard finding a coat that fit. Our Eskimo has a Canine Equipment fleece jacket that fits him well. One of the ladies has a male Weim with a well fitting Canine Eq. coat as well. The Groomer's year old Boxer is in love with my dog's tush and her older female is in love with me, aka "The Cookie Giver". I asked if you lived in Toronto because I was going to refer you to her salon/store since she has so much experience with Boxers.

Good Morning
Thanks for the great info I'm going to check those coats out today online. I was wondering what is the name of the salon so I can try to get in touch with her?

SnowDancer
March 23rd, 2006, 01:05 PM
Hope I don't yet yelled at! It is called Tails Up Dog Grooming - there is a web site - www.tailsup.ca. If you look at at Doggie Daycare section you will see pictures of the owner's Boxers - the older of the two having passed away last year - and further down - on her back, the now one year old female Boxer.

Melei'sMom
March 23rd, 2006, 03:43 PM
please don't get mad for the plug, but the best place I have found for doggie clothes at a very reasonable price (and in Canadian$) is coconapoleon.com

They are in Edmonton and they ship anywhere. they will special make the clothes to fit right. they do it for my pup.

kiara1
March 24th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Hope I don't yet yelled at! It is called Tails Up Dog Grooming - there is a web site - www.tailsup.ca. If you look at at Doggie Daycare section you will see pictures of the owner's Boxers - the older of the two having passed away last year - and further down - on her back, the now one year old female Boxer.

Good Morning
Thanks for the link - I'll check them out today. :)

kiara1
March 24th, 2006, 09:04 AM
please don't get mad for the plug, but the best place I have found for doggie clothes at a very reasonable price (and in Canadian$) is coconapoleon.com

They are in Edmonton and they ship anywhere. they will special make the clothes to fit right. they do it for my pup.

Hi!
Thank you, I'll check them out as well as I think that a custom coat may be in order. :)
Thanks again!!