Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

old lab/excessive drinking,eating grass

shrimpy47
March 21st, 2006, 11:45 PM
my lab is 9 1/2 yr. old. Had some problems moving around like he used to.A month ago vet put him on glucosamine w condroiton. Seemd to be better. Just started drinking a ton of water, going outside alot and immediately eating lots of grass ( didn't do this before), wants let outside several times during the night, and gagging alot. Could these symptoms be due to the medicine or something else?

Prin
March 22nd, 2006, 01:03 AM
Something else. I'd head to the vet. It could be a bunch of things, diabetes being one.

OntarioGreys
March 23rd, 2006, 02:12 AM
WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
Glucosamine may increase insulin resistance. Glucosamine increases insulin resistance in normal and experimentally diabetic animals. In these animals, intravenous glucosamine significantly decreases the rate of glucose uptake in skeletal muscle. In animals given oral glucosamine, this is not observed.

Those with type 2 diabetes and those who are overweight and have problems with glucose tolerance should have their blood sugars carefully monitored if they use glucosamine supplements. Because of insufficient safety data, children, pregnant women and nursing mothers should avoid using glucosamine.

ADVERSE REACTIONS
Side effects that have been reported are mainly mild gastrointestinal complaints such as heartburn, epigastric distress and diarrhea. No allergic reactions have been reported including sulfa-allergic reactions to glucosamine sulfate.

INTERACTIONS
Glucosamine may increase insulin resistance and consequently affect glucose tolerance. Diabetics who, under medical advisement, decide to use glucosamine supplements will need to monitor their blood glucose and may need to adjust the doses of the medications they take to control blood glucose. This needs to be done under medical supervision. No other drug, nutritional supplement, food or herb interaction is known.

from this webpage http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/nutsupdrugs/glu_0122.shtml

Grass eating sould possibly due to gastro irritation and increased drinking could be diabetes as suggested already

mastifflover
March 23rd, 2006, 08:33 AM
I thought diabetes too. I know Buddy eats grass when his tummy is upset and that will make him throw up. But only once in a while. Thanks Ontariogreys for that info on Glucosamine and insulin.