Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with some questions abt my puppy please

pebbz
March 21st, 2006, 09:15 PM
This past Sunday morning march 19th, I was at the Vet for my puppy who tested pos. for parvo virus. He gave him several shots, antibiotics, and medicine to keep him from vomiting. I have followed his instructions to the T so far, but I cannot seem to get him to call me back for the questions I need answered. My puppy Otis (seems) to be getting better, he was just near dead all of a sudden on sat evening. I been feeding him 1 syringe of Pedialyte mixed with 1 syringe full of chicken broth every 2 hrs for the past 3 days like the vet said. I also been giving him all his medicine and keeping him very warm and away from all my other animals. What I would like to know is, do I not feed him any solid foods and for how long? I do not want him to starve to death. He is taking the fluids pretty well. I need to mention that he has not had any severe vomiting or severe diareah at all. I think I got him to the vet in time. I even began feeding him pedialyte every 2-3 hrs even before i got him to the vet sunday morning as I noticed he was not drinking and looked poorly. How long does parvo last? He gave me medicine for 7 days and told me to call him back the next day. I can't get him to return my calls :( Otis sits up now after 3 days of treatment and responds to my voice and such. He even got up and ran to the backdoor today to go out to use the bathroom. He is still weak yet though. Should I wait till all the medicine is gone before trying him on solid foods? What types of foods does he need to eat foillowing this illness? I am so worried he will starve :((((( Is 7 days of medicine enough medicine for him to get better? I am so confused and worried it's pitiful. He does seem to be getting better but I know not to get my hopes up yet. His eyes are brighter, he is sitting up now a bit at a time and I am gradually increasing the ammount of fluid I give him. He is not vomiting it up either, he is doing very well at that. Can someone please respond on some of my questions. I am going to try and call the vet again in the am but I cannot sleep thinking abt all this. I love my puppy and I don't want to feed him solid foods till I have some answers because I dont want him sicker or do anything that will be bad for him. he is a chichuaua and doxy mix puppy. I would appreciate any help or advice I can get. I just do not understand why this vet does not care enough to call me back when he told me to call him in the first place to let him know how Otis is faring.

Sneaky
March 22nd, 2006, 02:16 AM
Hi there,
I dont know much about parvo virus myself except
than it can be fatal.
I think you should call your vets office and tell the receptionist
that you would like a call back or you WILL find another vet
who will appreciate your business.
A second opinion can never ever hurt.

Beaglemom
March 22nd, 2006, 09:00 AM
If your vet has not contacted you at all to follow up since you have brought your puppy home I would strongly suggest you find another. I know vets can be extremely busy and finding time to return calls can be difficult, but I strongly believe that your vet should have called you even if you hadn't called them. My vet calls me all the time after procedures to see if everything is going well. They have even called me on their days off and have called me from home just to check up on things.

I find that when I can't get a hold of my vet office, usually after hours, I call an emergency clinic and the vets there are usually very good at helping me out and answering all my questions. I would suggest you try calling another clinic and asking them for their advice. They may want you to bring your puppy in, but, like Sneakypete said, a second opinion is never a bad idea.

I'm glad to hear that your puppy is starting to feel better. It is good that you did catch it on time. Parvo is one of those illnesses that really takes it's toll on a puppy and can be deadly if not caught in time.