Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick puppy

pebbz
March 21st, 2006, 09:11 PM
This past Sunday morning march 19th, I was at the Vet for my puppy who tested pos. for parvo virus. He gave him several shots, antibiotics, and medicine to keep him from vomiting. I have followed his instructions to the T so far, but I cannot seem to get him to call me back for the questions I need answered. My puppy Otis (seems) to be getting better, he was just near dead all of a sudden on sat evening. I been feeding him 1 syringe of Pedialyte mixed with 1 syringe full of chicken broth every 2 hrs for the past 3 days like the vet said. I also been giving him all his medicine and keeping him very warm and away from all my other animals. What I would like to know is, do I not feed him any solid foods and for how long? I do not want him to starve to death. He is taking the fluids pretty well. I need to mention that he has not had any severe vomiting or severe diareah at all. I think I got him to the vet in time. I even began feeding him pedialyte every 2-3 hrs even before i got him to the vet sunday morning as I noticed he was not drinking and looked poorly. How long does parvo last? He gave me medicine for 7 days and told me to call him back the next day. I can't get him to return my calls :( Otis sits up now after 3 days of treatment and responds to my voice and such. He even got up and ran to the backdoor today to go out to use the bathroom. He is still weak yet though. Should I wait till all the medicine is gone before trying him on solid foods? What types of foods does he need to eat foillowing this illness? I am so worried he will starve :((((( Is 7 days of medicine enough medicine for him to get better? I am so confused and worried it's pitiful. He does seem to be getting better but I know not to get my hopes up yet. His eyes are brighter, he is sitting up now a bit at a time and I am gradually increasing the ammount of fluid I give him. He is not vomiting it up either, he is doing very well at that. Can someone please respond on some of my questions. I am going to try and call the vet again in the am but I cannot sleep thinking abt all this. I love my puppy and I don't want to feed him solid foods till I have some answers because I dont want him sicker or do anything that will be bad for him. he is a chichuaua and doxy mix puppy. I would appreciate any help or advice I can get. I just do not understand why this vet does not care enough to call me back when he told me to call him in the first place to let him know how Otis is faring.

wdawson
March 21st, 2006, 09:23 PM
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=585&EVetID=148032

try this link hope it works

papillonmama
March 21st, 2006, 09:43 PM
That is strange that he hasn't called back.
When Trigs had Parvo after he came back he didn't want to eat, for a couple of days, we kept trying to give the canned food the vet sent home with us, he finally started to eat again, first the canned food, which was for his dehydration as well, then the boiled chicken and rice (like it says on that link), all in small amounts and finely minced.
He's fine now, but has the equivelancy of irritable bowel syndrome, his poor tummy was just never the same again.

Sounds like your pup is doing pretty well, Trigs was very, very ill, so I would just ask one of the people who answers the phone next time you call, they will ask the vet. I think talking to anyone at the clinic about the parvo will wake them up. Maybe his memory will clue in when the assistant has to answer a specific question.

Good luck, hope he gets better soon.

pebbz
March 21st, 2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks a ton for replying so fast. I am now a little more at ease knowing what kind of food he is going to be eating. He is on his 4th day tomorrow of having this and I just hate it that he does not eat . I am getting plenty of fluids down him but it still frightens me abt not eating solid foods. I read the entire link you sent. I am going to call that Vet again in the am and if he does not call me back or answer I am going out there!My pets are just like my children and I want and will demand answers. I did not pay him 200.00 for nothing. I don't care what it costs to have Otis healthy again, but as far as I am concerned if the vet asked me to call him and let him know what was going on he really should have returned my calls. Thank you again so much. It is good to know there are caring loving people out there who are willing to help when someone is in the dark. Thank you BOTH for replying. I am most grateful :love:
Huggz
Pebbz