Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

She ate a grape---what should I watch for?

Melei'sMom
March 21st, 2006, 05:41 PM
My little shih-tzu x pup ate a grape last night(about 1/2 a big green one, no seed) before I got it away from her and I have read the post that says it could cause kidney failure in the next couple days and want to know what I should watch for so I can take her to the vet if she develops a problem at all.

so far there is no change, but will i get any warning syptoms and I have no clue what a dog with kidney failure looks/acts like?

Prin
March 21st, 2006, 05:46 PM
One grape is not enough to do anything, IMO. Especially if it's seedless. People on this board have fed their dogs grapes their whole lives without consequences. I'm not saying that's ideal either, but one grape shouldn't cause any damage.

Melei'sMom
March 21st, 2006, 05:52 PM
Even though she is only 4 lbs? that is what concerns me, she is so tiny that stuff that is fine with bigger dogs can be so bad for tiny ones.

Prin
March 21st, 2006, 06:08 PM
I think it would be ok. I mean even a bigger dog would have to eat a LOT of grapes to get sick. If you're really unsure, you can always call your vet and ask if you should be concerned.:)

Prin
March 21st, 2006, 08:00 PM
Hey, OntarioGreys posted this on another thread. I don't know what the source was, but I thought I'd post it anyway:
According to the National Animal Poison Control Center, pets may be very sensitive to an unknown chemical in grapes, raisins, or juice/wine made from grapes. The toxic dose of grape products can be as low as 0.1 mg/kg (or 0.046mg/lb), which means less than one grape or raisin may be poisonous to a 10 pound dog. Older or sick animals are the most susceptible. Symptoms usually start with vomiting, diarrhea and/or depression. In the animal hospital, several blood tests values will be affected, especially kidney function tests. The thing is, without the source, I can't verify it (they say "grape products" but the ones they mention are way more dense than a grape is, so it could be an exaggeration). Sorry if this changes everything...:o

papillonmama
March 21st, 2006, 08:21 PM
My papillon eats grapes sometimes, the huge seedless green ones, so far so good. She takes them from the kids' table quite often. She's pretty little too, though, she is very healthy.

Sneaky
March 22nd, 2006, 01:13 AM
Yes, I know several people as well who regularly feed
their dogs grapes. My mother in law fed her terrier/poodle cross
grapes for his whole life, all 14 years, and often a whole bunch
at a time, and he never had a problem.
My boyfriends aunt also feeds her tiny 4 lb pom grapes
with no ill effects on a regular basis.
I wouldnt worry about 1 grape myself.

Prin
March 22nd, 2006, 01:16 AM
heh heh thanks... That was my thought on it too, but then I read the quote I posted above and didn't want to risk the op's doggy.. I really don't think one grape is all that bad.:o

Melei'sMom
March 22nd, 2006, 01:46 AM
Thanks for your advice all. Now I can sleep without totally stressing about it. I have never had a small dog before Melei so I worry about things too much I think. My mal could eat anything and not get any tummy troubles, I think just cause of her huge size. but just like things that don't hurt adults can be lethal to a small child, I worry that it is the same for big vs. small pups.
so I am off to bed and will use my new mantra: "it is not a national emergency if she eats a grape, it is not the end of the world if she sneezes once, I do not need to call the vet every day, she will get sick of me if I don't stop." :rolleyes: