Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Some people shouldn't have pets

Bushfire2000
March 21st, 2006, 02:12 PM
My husbands relatives phoned me to see if I'd take their cats. One of them is pregnant so they are getting rid of her. How can I tell these people not to ever get another cat!!

This is not the first time that they have dropped cats on my doorstep.
One of my very favorite cats came from them.
But I've had enough. I don't want to be their dumping ground.

I've already told them that it's not a good idea to bring them here. Mavis thinks it's her duty to get rid of any strange animals that stray onto our property. I've already had to rescue a wandering Tom from her cluches. If these people bring the cats here I may not be able to keep them safe and I will worry about their well being. I didn't let my cats run around unneutered so why should I have to put up with the results of thier neglect.

If I take the cats I perpetuate the situation and they will let a few months go by and then get a new kitten.
If I don't take them I don't know what will happen to the cats.

joeysmama
March 21st, 2006, 02:31 PM
Oh that bugs me. I knew someone who got a kitten and then when it was grown got rid of it because it wasn't cute anymore. She gave it to her father and said "Don't tell me what you do with it.":mad:

Writing4Fun
March 21st, 2006, 02:52 PM
Ugh! These can be the nicest people in the world, but something like this would just turn me off completely. :yuck: I hope mama cat gives birth on the wife's favourite cashmere sweater before they have a chance to dump her. :evil: My only advice to you would be to give their phone number to a rescue or no-kill shelter that can take them all. Maybe having a total stranger calling them up will instill some semblance of shame on these people.

Bushfire2000
March 21st, 2006, 03:12 PM
My only advice to you would be to give their phone number to a rescue or no-kill shelter that can take them all. Maybe having a total stranger calling them up will instill some semblance of shame on these people.

I really like this idea. They have an unlisted number and would know that I'm the one who gave their number away. But I don't care.
I just feel so sorry for the cats and I have an awful feeling that while I'm at work they will bring them out and dump them in my barn. It's my fault because I've taken cats from them in the past they think they can just dump them on me.

Joeysmama : I think that they are treating me like that person treated their father. I can't garantee the cats saftey and they just don't listen.

jessi76
March 21st, 2006, 03:34 PM
How can I tell these people not to ever get another cat!!

have a few cocktails and just flat out tell them they are HORRIBLE HEINOUS PEOPLE WHO YOU ARE ASHAMED TO KNOW & BE RELATED TO. tell them they are going straight to cat-hater-hell, and you will circulate their photo to every shelter in the neighboring towns so everyone knows they are evil people, and no one will let them adopt another cat EVER. heck, tell them you'll run their photo in the paper with "BIG FAT MEANIES" printed on their foreheads.

ok, so it may not win you any brownie points w/ your hubby, but I can guarentee they won't call you again. (and you'll probably never be asked to host a family party w/ them)

Bushfire2000
March 21st, 2006, 03:40 PM
have a few cocktails and just flat out tell them they are HORRIBLE HEINOUS PEOPLE WHO YOU ARE ASHAMED TO KNOW & BE RELATED TO. tell them they are going straight to cat-hater-hell, and you will circulate their photo to every shelter in the neighboring towns so everyone knows they are evil people, and no one will let them adopt another cat EVER. heck, tell them you'll run their photo in the paper with "BIG FAT MEANIES" printed on their foreheads.

ok, so it may not win you any brownie points w/ your hubby, but I can guarentee they won't call you again. (and you'll probably never be asked to host a family party w/ them)

Yah if I thought they actualy adopted these cats from some caring rescue but I think they get them from like minded souls. I think the whole problem is that they get them free and when they start to cost money they get rid of them. And if I offered them a cocktail they'd never leave no matter what I called them.

thanks for the support though.

jessi76
March 21st, 2006, 03:46 PM
oh goodness, don't offer them anything, I was suggesting YOU have a few cocktails so it's easier to yell at them for being so aweful.

t.pettet
March 21st, 2006, 08:40 PM
I would report them to the authorities, all you're going to lose is crappy relatives and 20 more un-altered cats. That might get the message through to them.