Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Constipated Kitty

CatWoman76
March 21st, 2006, 12:49 PM
Hi!

I have a cat who for the last month or two has been having problems with constipation. She did have an enema about a month ago. I'm noticing her stools getting hard again. It was recommended that I try a hairball treament remedy as that may be the biggest cause of her stiff stool. I tried Hartz hairball remedy and she's thrown up when I gave it to her. I'm wondering if there is a better method to try to soften her stool. I had her on some low residue food...but that didn't seem to do the trick. I've tried her on some Science Diet Sensitive Stomach to see if that would help. The doctor wasn't sure why she's been all of a sudden having problems pooping. I was thinking maybe a supplement of some kind would help in softening her stool. Anything that is all natural that I can give her?

Many Thanks!
Melissa

jessi76
March 21st, 2006, 01:14 PM
how old is this cat? what brand of food is she on now (the science diet?), and how much is she eating? does she eat wet food also or dry only?

(a little more info may help other members give you better advice)

VIOLET0019
March 23rd, 2006, 10:59 AM
Here are three suggestions that are natural and well tolerated by cats and dogs, I hope you find one that works:
Flax Seed Powder: If you mix 1/4 tsp. flax seed powder with water (so that it is absorbed...i.e. maybe with 1 tsp. water, or more) and mix into food, two times a day, that can help immensely (that is, if your cat will not turn up her nose once it is in the food!).

There is a product from UrbanCarnivore.com, called Slippery Elm, which I am now experimenting with, and that may be something to try. (Also to be mixed with water).

Also, there is a company that makes a product called: VETBASIS HAIRBALL GEL - and it is also good for consipation! You can try researching their website to see if you can obtain it where you live. I am very interested in it because it is natural and will also be trying to find it for my cat. Their website is: www.pet-living.com. Click on products, then click on VETBASIS HAIRBALL GEL. It has no petroleum in it and so that is nice.
(I just found a website: www.onlynaturalpet.com....and they carry the Vetbasis Hairball Gel, so just in case you can not get it where you live, you can try them!) Good luck!

Hi!

I have a cat who for the last month or two has been having problems with constipation. She did have an enema about a month ago. I'm noticing her stools getting hard again. It was recommended that I try a hairball treament remedy as that may be the biggest cause of her stiff stool. I tried Hartz hairball remedy and she's thrown up when I gave it to her. I'm wondering if there is a better method to try to soften her stool. I had her on some low residue food...but that didn't seem to do the trick. I've tried her on some Science Diet Sensitive Stomach to see if that would help. The doctor wasn't sure why she's been all of a sudden having problems pooping. I was thinking maybe a supplement of some kind would help in softening her stool. Anything that is all natural that I can give her?

Many Thanks!
Melissa

VIOLET0019
March 23rd, 2006, 10:59 AM
Here are three suggestions that are natural and well tolerated by cats and dogs, I hope you find one that works:
Flax Seed Powder: If you mix 1/4 tsp. flax seed powder with water (so that it is absorbed...i.e. maybe with 1 tsp. water, or more) and mix into food, two times a day, that can help immensely (that is, if your cat will not turn up her nose once it is in the food!).

There is a product from UrbanCarnivore.com, called Slippery Elm, which I am now experimenting with, and that may be something to try. (Also to be mixed with water).

Also, there is a company that makes a product called: VETBASIS HAIRBALL GEL - and it is also good for consipation! You can try researching their website to see if you can obtain it where you live. I am very interested in it because it is natural and will also be trying to find it for my cat. Their website is: www.pet-living.com. Click on products, then click on VETBASIS HAIRBALL GEL. It has no petroleum in it and so that is nice.
(I just found a website: www.onlynaturalpet.com....and they carry the Vetbasis Hairball Gel, so just in case you can not get it where you live, you can try them!) Good luck!

Hi!

Many Thanks!
Melissa

CatWoman76
March 24th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I'll look into all your suggestions.

Lucky will be 6 this year in October. She's been fairly healthy so far. I've just noticed that she's not coughing so much any more nor have I seen any hairballs. Which coinsides with her being constipated. She does poop but it looks like she is straining. She was going once a day after the enema now it's about once a day to once every two days. It is a little hard when I examine it.

She was on Purina One for the indoor cats. The doc wanted to put her on low residue. I've used to before with one of my cats who has since passed on and it's great. However, right now I just don't have the money for it. It would cost $60 a month to feed all my cats. Since they all eat the same stuff from two bowls...it will be hard just to give it to her. Someone suggested science diet for sensative stomachs which is easily digestable. I've had her on that for about a week. I mixed it in with the little bit of the other dry mixed in. Otherwise with food change she pukes.

I'm also giving her Laxatone. I've been giving her one teaspoon a day. Someone said to try that because it's a mild laxative. I've got her into a seperate room so I can monitor her and see how it works.

I'm hoping to find a solution fairly soon so she doesn't have to go back into the vet for another enema. I'm sure she would appreciate it ;)

Melissa