Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chihuahua & Pomeranian

chris**gary
March 21st, 2006, 04:56 AM
I have a 7month old Chihuahua - male. I am also getting a Pomeranian next week (for my birthday) - female. Both of these breeds are my favourite. I have wanted one of each all my life. I got the Chihuahua first and now I think he is a bit lonely - he needs a friend. There are no small breeds where I live so he can never meet up with any small breeds. He is always with me and my partner and sometimes he gets fed up. When he hears dogs on the telly barking etc. he gets very excited! So i decided to get another small breed pup as a friend only. I will not be breathing them. Some one who was trying to sell me a male chihuahua (she had sold all her females) told me I should not get a female small breed as my chihuahua will spay wee up my walls and on my bed and sofa etc. I am not sure if this is true - could someone please help me and advise what I can do. I have already picked and paid for my Pomeranian (who I called Angel) and he will be arriving next week.
Please can anybody please help. I am desperate!

BMDLuver
March 21st, 2006, 05:40 AM
It's a very simple problem to stop. Have your male neutered then within a few months he won't want to mark the territory for the female. Then when the little pom is large enough and old enough, have her spayed. Voila, problem solved.

LavenderRott
March 21st, 2006, 06:47 AM
You should get your little guy neutered. While you have no intention of breeding, with both pups intact your chances of an unplanned litter are great.

If you are going to have two dogs so close in age, you are better off having opposite sex puppies. Two of the same sex are more likely to have "discussions" over who is dominate and these "discussions" can get bloody and even deadly.

I have a pom and my mom has a chi. I will tell you that the chi absolutely will NOT play with my pom. The pom is 6 pounds heavier and scares the stuffing out of the chi.

SnowDancer
March 21st, 2006, 10:39 AM
I agree with LavenderRott in that your Chi may well not play with your new Pom. I have an Eskimo - many personality traits are similar to that of a Pom. It isn't that the Pom may not want to play - it is that they play rough. Don't know how big your Chi is but hope bigger rather than smaller. Best of luck.

OntarioGreys
March 21st, 2006, 12:07 PM
Please spay and neuter both while they are still young, it is easier surgery on them physically while young, it also reduces the odds of developing some forms of cancers, with females one heat cycle increases their chances of developing mammary cancer by 18%,
Anyone who has an intact pet, I urge you strongly to look at these pictures of surgeries to understand what spaying and neutering will help to protect your pet from facing. Warning--- they are graphic, but the reality of what your pet may face by not spaying and neutering, and if you are holding off because of money issues, better save money quickly or borrow because cancer surgery and treatment will be easily 10 times the cost of any spay or neuter surgery

mammary cancer surgery http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/mam.html

prostate cancer surgery
http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/prostate.htm