Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help, my min pin has bloody stool and vomiting

kristi
December 1st, 2003, 07:32 PM
I have a 2 yr old female min pin, Nikki. She had puppies 12 weeks ago, but all was fine with that. Puppies have all been gone for about 5 weeks now.

Nikki is a very active dog. She was fine until last night. Then she started vomiting and having diahhrea. Within a few hours her stool turned black (almost all blood). This morning I went to work at 8am, came home at 11:30 to feed her some hamburger and rice because she wouldn't eat all night. That's when I noticed she was vomiting blood. I didn't feed her the hamb. & rice. She will drink water.

I immediately took her to the vet. He took blood samples, gave her an antibiotic shot and a shot of Vit. K.

The vet asked me if she could have possible gotten into rat poison, I said no. Then he asked me if maybe she had eaten something out of the ordinary. The only thing I can think of is maybe those little weiners (little smokies, as we call them). She may have been given two or three by my family, Saturday night. The vet thinks it may be an acute allergic reaction to the table food or something wrong with her pancreas. He kept her for observation.

I'm worried, I'm scared. Does anyone know what the problem may be? There was a lot of blood in her stool.

I have two other min pins, they are fine. If Nikki had the little weiners, they did too, I'm sure, and they seem fine.

Any suggestions as to what it may be? Thanks. :confused:

mona_b
December 1st, 2003, 08:33 PM
What were the results of the blood test?Is he going to check her pancreas?And she had no problems with her delivery?If this pursists I would ask for an ultra sound.I do hope she gets better.

kristi
December 1st, 2003, 09:50 PM
The vet didn't give me any results of the blood tests yet. He told me he would check her pancreas this afternoon. I wanted to call this evening and see how she was doing but I was afraid I'd hear bad news. And since he didn't call me, that means she hasn't gotten worse(fingers crossed). I'm going to call first thing in the morning and check on her.

Her delivery of her puppies went by with no problems whatsoever. I had her checked to make sure she delivered all of the pups. What shocked me is that she had six puppies. I have always heard that min pins only have 2 or 3, especially the first litter.

I will ask about an ultrasound tomorrow. Thanks.

Jenn216
December 2nd, 2003, 10:31 AM
Is your dog updated on all of its shots, because if not she could possibly have parvo since blood in stool and vomitting are symptoms of this.

kristi
December 2nd, 2003, 05:57 PM
I have good news. Jenn-yes she is up to date on all her shots. She had the vomiting and diarrhea like parvo, but she never got lethargic like parvo makes a dog. And she drank lots of water.

She is doing much better today. She will remain under the care of her vet for a couple more days, they are giving her antibiotics every few hours and she is improving rapidly. There is no more bleeding and she is starting to eat a little bit now.

She sure had me scared. I thought I was going to lose her. They told me she would be home by Friday and in a couple of weeks she should be her old self again.

They didn't do any xrays or ultrasound, they told me that as long as she keeps improving as rapidly as she is, they would spare me the expense. I wasn't worried about the expense, but if they feel they don't need to do the ultrsound, then I guess I should trust them.

Thanks for responding and caring.

mona_b
December 2nd, 2003, 08:52 PM
I am so glad to hear she is doing better.Won't be long and she will be back to normal.All the best...Hugs for her.

Jenn216
December 3rd, 2003, 11:34 AM
That's great! I'm so glad she's doing better.

Luba
December 3rd, 2003, 03:14 PM
YIPPIE

kristi
December 4th, 2003, 11:37 PM
Update on Nikki:

I brought her home today around 11am. I am sooo glad to have her home. She isn't completely out of the woods yet.

Blood test results: they actually send samples to one of our local hospitals, I did not know that... Anyway, turns out it appears to be a severe allergic reaction to something she ate. (My three dogs will never again eat people food!!)
She had elevated liver enzymes. It has caused permanent damage to her liver and her kidneys. She will probably be on a special prescription diet for the rest of her life. The vet gave me Science Diet i/d. He also gave me antibiotics to give her once a day for the next ten days, and she has to go back Saturday for a check up.

Nikki weighed 14 lbs when I took her in. She wasn't overweight, she is just a tad taller than most min pins, today she weighed 9lbs. She looks like a bag of bones. I feel so sorry for her. She has a little hard lump on the back of her neck from all the injections that were given to her, but that will go away in a few days.

She will get up and move around for a few minutes at a time, then she is completely wiped out and needs to rest. (She HAS to rest on the lap of me or my husband. Her demand lol). It was her fist hospital visit and it really scared her I think, she won't let us out of her sight, even here at home.

My other two min pins don't understand why she won't play and she growls at them when they start to get too rowdy. I can't wait for her to get back to her "old" self again.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the understanding and words of encouragement I have recieved from all of you. It has been a really tough week for me. There are so many people out there that tell me, "She's just a dog". None of my pets (or any of yours) are "just a dog" or "just a cat" or "just a pet". They are part of our families, and sometimes it's harder to lose a pet than a family member. Their love is completely unconditional.

Thank you again. Oh, if any of you would like me to email you a pic of my babies, let me know.

Kristi

Luba
December 5th, 2003, 12:40 AM
Oh I'm glad to hear that things are improving

That is wonderful news!!

Some dogs have iron stomachs others don't but there are many things that dogs shouldn't eat including onions, chocolate, fatty substances ie butter, bacon, grease, gravy, sugar, candy etc...
However there's a lot that they can have that we have as well, but if your dog is sensitive and you don't know what caused it, you're right on the money in being careful

:)

mona_b
December 5th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Well I am so glad that your little one is back home.It may take time,but I'm sure she will get back to normal.Yes they are a part of our family.And we love them.All the best....Big HUGS to her.I would love to see a pic of your babies.Post it on here so we can all see it.

kristi
December 5th, 2003, 11:13 PM
I'm trying to post a pic of Nikki and my male dog Mack. Nikki is the one without a collar. The pic was taken February 2003.

Luba
December 5th, 2003, 11:15 PM
Ahh Kristi they are beautiful :)

mona_b
December 6th, 2003, 10:52 PM
Awwwww they are gorgeous.They must be a joy.