Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Too many forums

OntarioGreys
March 20th, 2006, 09:58 PM
:sorry: I know I am fairly new here and I don't want to step on any toes, but I find navigating or trying to find particular posts trying, as there are just so many forums and sub forums , just reading through the list of all of them to try inorder to find what forum you want can take longer than it takes to actually write the post.

I have also noticed the moderators are constantly moving post because they were posted in the wrong area which I suspect which would be reduced greatly if they were better organized with fewer forums

The breakdown of forums from the main page could be improved for example "Discussion groups -- mainly Cats and Dogs" right now it contains 23 seperate forums, which I think needs a severe pruning, I would expect to see these types of forums headings:

Health and Medical
Feeding and Dietary
Behaviour And Training
Pet Merchandise(possibly)
Rememberance
Pet discussion
BSL Discussions

Not books , gardening, movies, non pet off topic, tech talk, suggestions & improvement, recipes for humans, etc. These are topics not directly related to cats and dogs and should be under another heading from the home forum page. The introductions I'd moved since some pet owner will have species other than cats and dogs for pets

Hopefully this is not considered as criticism :o

Prin
March 20th, 2006, 10:05 PM
After being here for a while, I've come to realize that people will post anywhere, even if the forums are clear... We had a pregnant cat thread in the dog food forum once... :rolleyes:

I dunno, maybe I don't like change, but I like the forum the way it is. :o It basically goes: health, general, breed, training, chat, off-topic chat (with subforums that are not pet related), rainbow bridge, food, thanks, then skip to the bottom (unless you do rescue) and you have the pics...

I guess I find it easy because I use the "new posts" most of the time anyway. But in the beginning it was hard, but the forum is huge- I mean there are tens of thousands of posts...

Prin
March 20th, 2006, 10:07 PM
I've also noticed that a lot of posts are moved from the general forum to other forums, and I think that's because if newbies or regular members aren't sure about where they should go, they post them there, and then the mods move them to the best suited category... Like the rants and stuff shouldn't go in the general forum...

OntarioGreys
March 20th, 2006, 10:34 PM
I understand change is hard, I am not one to like change much either, one of the other bulletin boards I frequent is quite large as well, with over 2,500 active members(the member list is trimmed every 3 months if the person has not posted in the last 30 days they get pruned off the active list), guests are free to post to most of the forums, so a lot of newbies posting to ask questions they have a total of 14 forums, and a lot more daily posts occuring than what is here, and it is not too often that posts need to be moved.

I belong to other bulletin boards as well which where I am making my comparisons, I just find this one very awkward to navigate thru, since unrelated topics are bunched together as well as there being so many subforums.

jesse's mommy
March 21st, 2006, 04:53 AM
I think it's just fine. I think it's pretty easy to navigate once I sat down and looked at the categories. When I wasn't paying attention I had a hard time finding things, but after I sat down and looked, it's pretty simple. I agree with Prin.

phoenix
March 21st, 2006, 07:06 AM
Suggestion- instead of moving through all of the forums, justclick on new posts and read the ones that interest you that are new since you last were here. This makes it easier. (of course you probably already know this...)

marko
March 21st, 2006, 11:02 AM
It just takes getting used to. Everything is placed in some type of logical structure to help people find the info they need. The problems happen when people post in inappropriate forums. Many of the forums/subforums were suggestions from members like yourself.

If you go to the manin page of the forum
http://www.pets.ca/forum/
you can always see the entire structure.

Marko
ADMIN

rainbow
March 25th, 2006, 01:50 PM
I only joined in January but I agree with everyone and have no problem...it`s just fine the way it is. :thumbs up

momto2
March 26th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I agree with everyone, it's great just the way it is. If it were to change, I think then long time members and even a newbie like myself might get a little confused.:)

Shamrock
March 27th, 2006, 04:22 PM
I agree that its fine at it is. This is a very large site, things are categorized in a way that makes things easier to navigate the various topics.
Its just a matter of familiarizing, for new members.

Without seperation, it would be far more time-consuming to find what you are looking for.

CyberKitten
March 27th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I usually think I embrace change well but I like this one the way it is. I often have thought a seperate one for cats and dogs would be not bad BUT then there are so many of us who have both and other animals so if that was started, there would be no end so I like it just the way it is.

I would add I tend to check it by looking at recent posts and that cuts down on time consuming checks of forums that do not really relate to my concerns. No one can have time to read EVERYTHING.