Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vaccinations Wednesday(Giardia?)

erykah1310
March 20th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Hi everyone, the dogs are schedueled for their vaccinations on wednesday, i called the vet today to ask a bit about Leptospirosis(warning in the West Nippising area last year) and she brought up Giardia also. She gave me a briefing of it and I have decided because of the environment my dogs are usually in (camping, travelling ect..) to get this vaccine, however just wondering if anyone has any good links to sites or information that i could read up on this virus? Want to know all about it. Thanks in advance

Lucky Rescue
March 20th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Are you sure she said giardia? This is a microscopic parasite that lives in the intestines, and not a virus and there is no vaccine against it.

erykah1310
March 20th, 2006, 04:11 PM
yup she even spelled it out for me, she said i should look into it because of the creek beside the house and the lake at camp , something about water foul droppings and beavers?? She was saying that it was an extremely painful for the dog, yet was treatable? And even recommended that I get the vaccine.I was curious because its not even an option on the "passport to heath". Now you have me very curious? perhaps i should call another vet tomorrow since they are all closed now.

OntarioGreys
March 20th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I looked it up , it seems there is a vaccine

3- There is now a new vaccination for the prevention of Giardiasis. This vaccine is routinely used on our breeding bitches to help control this protozoan. The pups are also given Metronidazole, under the guidance of our Veterinarian, for 1 week before we receive the pups.

http://www.rainbowpark.ca/parasites.htm

This site explains a bit about each vaccinehttp://www.ovma.org/pets/vaccines.html

In my area last year the CORONA VIRUS vaccine was recommended, because I go to several adoption events with the dogs, and they are therefore exposed to a large numbers other dogs I include.

Lucky Rescue
March 20th, 2006, 04:28 PM
This is a parasite that can infect animals drinking water contaminated with the cysts. It's treatable once the animal has it, but I repeat it's not a virus and there is no vaccination against it.

The way to prevent it is to keep dogs from drinking water that may fouled by other animals, like stagnant ponds, flooded barnyards etc.

As for it being "extremely painful" - it does cause diahrrea and I'm sure some discomfort....

I have no idea what your vet is talking about.:confused:

LavenderRott
March 20th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Sorry, Lucky, there is a vaccine for Giardia. My mom's greyhound gets it every six months as she is extremely susceptible to Giardia and the Boxer that I fostered this summer got it also.

As seen in the above link:

GIARDIA
Vaccination is considered optional by most veterinarians. Giardia is a parasite that can cause chronic gastrointestinal upset (primarily diarrhea) in dogs. This parasite can spread to humans. The vaccine for Giardia is new. Ask your veterinarian about the incidence of this disease in your area, and whether you need to have your pet vaccinated against this disease.

erykah1310
March 20th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Ok??? So, I dont know what to say, if there isnt any vaccination against it, why would the vet offer one? And my dogs are swimmers, in the summer while camping they love the water, im not about to keep them from doing things that they like, and one is also used for duck hunting (although clearly not bred for it he does wonderfully) So if there is a vaccination for Giardia?? which we all seem to be unclear about, Should i get it??

Lucky Rescue
March 20th, 2006, 04:37 PM
OH! That's a new one for me! I"ve had strays with giardia and no vaccine was ever offered.:eek:

LavenderRott
March 20th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Ok??? So, I dont know what to say, if there isnt any vaccination against it, why would the vet offer one? And my dogs are swimmers, in the summer while camping they love the water, im not about to keep them from doing things that they like, and one is also used for duck hunting (although clearly not bred for it he does wonderfully) So if there is a vaccination for Giardia?? which we all seem to be unclear about, Should i get it??

The first time my Mom's grey got Giardia, the vet bill (of course the diarrea started at night so a trip to the emergency vet was warranted) was over $600.

The cost of the vaccine is much cheaper - I say get the shot.

erykah1310
March 20th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Thanks, I am going to go ahead with it, Wonder why this is the first time its ever been brought to my attention by my vet? I have lived here for almost 5 years now and my dogs have been doing the same things since we lived here? For the $25 the vaccine is going to cost im gonna go ahead with it.

Is there anyother vaccinations i should perhaps ask about before i go in on wednesday? (seeing as though im only learning of these things this year?)

Want to make sure they are properly protected before summer hits;)

OntarioGreys
March 20th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Your best bet is to talk to your vet explain the lifestyle like camping, if you travel alot to other areas of the country that becomes important, do you attend events where there are large numbers of dogs that yours will be coming contact with. The more the vet knows about exposures your dogs will come into then the better they can advise on whether other vaccines are needed.

For a pet that stays in the back yard most of the time and does not travel places or go to parks where other dogs hang out there risk of getting parasites and viruses are extremmely low, so they don't need as many vaccines as your dogs may require.

erykah1310
March 21st, 2006, 12:30 PM
I have explained to my vet the lifestyle of me and the dogs, and i am quite upset that this was never brought to my attention before. I think i am perhaps going to start to look around for a new vet, I just dont understand that knowing that my dogs are country dogs and we hike alot with them, hunt with them and take them WHERE EVER we can, I always call and scheduel a check up when we are going for a long trip with the dogs. And for the few times that we have no alternative but to board them for a few days the kennel cough is always administered to them.
I am extrememly worried about what else she may not be telling me about.
Thanks to everyone for the information about Giardia, Honestly this is the first i have ever heard of it!