Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

swelling and hives

motherfirefly
March 20th, 2006, 11:51 AM
my dog got into the trash last night and ate some eggshells. this morning her snout was swollen. an hour later she has large red bumps all over her body. i called a vet clinic and they advised me to give her some benadryl, which i did. but the swelling hasnt gone down and the bumps are still there. i dont have any money to take her to the vet. i only have $12 to my name right now. i need to know what i can do, or where i can go. PLEASE I'M BEGGING ALL WHO READ THIS.....I NEED SOME SORT OF ADVICE. the only other thing i can think of is turn her into the shelter. they'll fix her, but because she's a pit bull they'll euthanize her. not to mention i'd never see here again. i dont want to lose my dog....please someone....anyone....help

loveyadogs
March 20th, 2006, 12:09 PM
can you give her a little more benadryl, it make take a wee bit of time for the swelling and bumps to go

SnowDancer
March 20th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Did vet clinic advise dose of Benadryl to give based on your dog's weight? This is key.

motherfirefly
March 20th, 2006, 12:21 PM
they said half the adult dose. about 1 mg per pound.

SnowDancer
March 20th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Give it a little more time and then if vet clinic agrees, try another dose. If your dog was having an allergic reaction to the Benadryl you would know by now - I am allergic to Benadryl so know this first hand.

Prin
March 20th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I'd go in for a cortisone shot. At my vet, they're usually around $30.

Rottielover
March 20th, 2006, 01:54 PM
talk to your vet about a payment plan....They should be able to help you

motherfirefly
March 20th, 2006, 02:57 PM
the swelling seems to be going down. although i cant quite be sure. other than the swelling in her lips, she's happy and somewhat playful.