Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tendon Trouble

hdme
March 20th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Has anyone here had a dog with a "blown tendon"? My sister's dog (a small cockapoo) had one on his back leg 4 weeks ago and while waiting for it to heal (they were told he was too small for surgery and that it should heal on it's own in 8 weeks) a tendon in the other back leg has blown. They saw the vet today and bloodwork is being done and they are scheduled to go back tomorrow to see the surgeon. We're just curious as to if this is common with the breed or if there might be an underlying issue that is weakening the tendons. Thanks...

hdme
March 24th, 2006, 09:19 AM
After being examined by the vet and surgeon, my sister was told that they can operate on both legs...we were so worried that they would have to put him down. The vets were hoping that the first tendon would heal itself, but when the second one went, they felt that surgery was the only option. TI'm just so happy that they can help him! His bloodwork has all come back clear too. Just had to share the good news!

mastifflover
March 24th, 2006, 10:37 AM
A word of caution after the surgery you will need to keep the dog really quiet and only out for pee and poo then back to rest. Are they doing one then the other. The healing period is as important as the surgery because too much activity and they can blow the tendon again. Good luck and keep us posted

hdme
March 24th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks mastifflover ~

The surgeon recommended doing both legs during one surgery. Luckily, there is someone home all day to keep a good eye on him to make sure he rests and bring his food and water to him and carry him outside for potty breaks now, so I'm sure that will continue post surgery.