Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

teaching a deaf kitten

mona_b
December 1st, 2003, 01:31 PM
Hi.
We adopted a beautiful fluffy white kitten with beautiful blue eyes.We have noticed that our Casper is deaf.He is 3 months old.This is all new to us.He has really gotten in to bitting.Every time he does this,we give him his toys to play with.That works for a while.We can just sit there and he will attack.We are teaching him the sign language for no.It works sometimes.We know this will take time for him to learn.I went on the net only to learn that white kittens with blue eyes or one blue eye and one coloured eye are prone to being deaf.I even talked to a persian breeder about this.So if there is anyone who has gone through this I would really appreciate some feedback.Thank you.

Lucky Rescue
December 1st, 2003, 08:20 PM
Never use your hands to play with your kitten. Always play with string cat toys.

If he bites your hands when you pick him up, trying gently blowing in his face.

And yes, white, blue-eyed animals are often deaf.

mona_b
December 1st, 2003, 09:23 PM
Oh trust me we don't.He has his toys and he has his little cow on a stick.Hehehe.The blowing in his face just makes it worse.I have had cats all my life.But having a deaf kitten is challenging.He can't hear us say no.He can't hear us period.I know when my other cats were kittens and got in to the biting a few firm No's did the trick.But we are just teaching our Casper sign language.It's tough.