Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat found in my backyard, need reputable rescue for him

Mrs Bungle
March 20th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Hi,

Well weve been seeing this dog at my parents house for about 2 weeks now - this guy is ALWAYS in my parents back yard since then... But I beleive that he has been stray for a long time now.

We have been feeding him whenever we see him and stuff, but yesterday I decided that we should bring him inside since its just so cold and he is SOO skinny.

He is an orange long haired cat.. I took him to the vet last night and they told me there isnt anythign visibly wrong with him, that he is a neutered male, around 4-5 years old. This poor guy is only 6 pounds though, which is bad, and hes got some matting as well, which was partly removed by me and the vet.

Hes really sweet though, but I think hes in pain from his matting, but its hard to get to him unless i take him to the vet agaiin and get them to remove the rest with a shaver or something.

Anyway, my point is, I need a good rescue in the Toronto area, to take this little guy and adopt him out. Any help would be much apprecited.. This isnt urgent, but I would like him to get proper care from someone who is familiar with this type of situation.

Thanks for any help!
Vicki

Mrs Bungle
March 20th, 2006, 09:58 AM
btw, above i said dog, i meant cat, its a cat taht we found. sorry about that!

BMDLuver
March 20th, 2006, 10:14 AM
The likelyhood of finding a rescue to take in an older cat is unfortunately pretty slim. Kittens are about to be a dime a dozen and they will be most adopters first interest. If he's that skinny, I would wonder if he does not have a disease such as feline aids or some other problem. A blood panel would give a good indicator but that can be costly. It's sad when an older cat is abandoned as the general public doesn't normally see the value in the older ones. I hope you have success finding him a spot.:fingerscr

chico2
March 20th, 2006, 10:28 AM
On the other hand,it could be he's skinny for lack of food and care.
Maybe,since he is neutered maybe someone is,or has been looking for him.
I know what you mean about kittens going first,but IMO 4-5yrs old is almost a kitten,but not little and cute,in some peoples eyes.:sad:
The way it's going at the THS,they would most likely kill him.
His matting needs to be taken care of,if severe it is painful for the cat and can cause lesions on his skin,he probably needs to be shaved,poor boy!
At 6lb's he is way to skinny and will need to put some fat on,my Rocky is slender but he weighs 15lb's.
I do not know of any rescues here,but I am sure there are some,please keep him at least until he gets a little fatter and if it's not too expensive have all his matts shaved off,he would feel soo much better.
Thank's for caring:love:

Mrs Bungle
March 20th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Hi chico,

Oh yah, we are willing to keep him and fatten him up.. That definatly isnt a problem... The worst of the mattes the vet shaved, its just the ones that are more minor that need to be taken off. I will probably end up taking him to the vet again anyway to shave that stuff off...

But some good news, we left some dry food out in the room we are keeping him in and he ate almost all of it, and this morning he ate a can of wet food the vet gave us, which is awsome. So at least I know his appetite is good, thankfully.

And he passed some stools, which from what i could tell, didnt look wormy.

badger
March 20th, 2006, 11:04 AM
If you can afford a fecal test (12-15 $), it might be a good idea to test for worms anyway. Strays will eat literally anything to stay alive. Thanks for taking this guy in. Someone loved him enough to neuter him, at least.

Mrs Bungle
March 20th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Hi badger,

I think I will do that as well. The only tests I am worried about are the hiv ones and that, because they are going to end up running me probably a good amount of money. I dont mind paying for it, but its a bad time right now since only one of us is working at the moment. But I am hoping that with the food and warm room, he will brighten up and we can take him later on to do any larger tests.

Lucky Rescue
March 20th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Oh yah, we are willing to keep him and fatten him up

If you are willing to do that, then a rescue would probably help you out. I know we would.

Go to Google and look up Toronto cat rescue. You'll see a list. You can start contacting them and if you tell them you will foster this cat while they help you find a home, you may get a response.

They would probably be willing also to pay for the Fiv and FeLV tests which are usually necessary when the cat is an adult male.

Mrs Bungle
March 20th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Lucky,

This is great news!!! I will contact them and see if they can help me out!!!! I will keep everyone posted on what happens!