Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Suggestions Needed IMMEDIATELY

Bearsmom
March 20th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Hi all: Can anyone help me out with my neighbour and what to say to her? They just got a 5 month old cockapoo (?), a real sweetheart of a dog. I asked her about getting her fixed, and her reply was, "well, my father said I should let her have at least one litter". ARGH!!!

I explained to her about animal overpopulation, etc etc,she really doesn't seem too convinced, is there anything else I can tell her that would help to change her mind??????

Skryker
March 20th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Maybe all the costs involved with a litter-the extra vet bills, the extra food? And all the time it takes-8-12 weeks of puppies means changing paper and bedding a lot and a lot of extra laundry.
How about the horror stories of inbred puppies or congential defects-like organs on the outside and other deformations? Or the fact that sometimes the puppies are born dead or die shortly after birth-and all you can do is watch helplessly while it happens.
Maybe someone who is a breeder here on the site can share heart-break stories?

Beaglemom
March 20th, 2006, 09:51 AM
I've encountered quite a few people with the same attitude or one of "he/she doesn't need to be neutered/spayed". I find the best way to deal with people like this is to give them the information without sounding like it is a lecture or demeaning. They will ultimately have to make the decision for themselves, but the least we could do is provide them with the necessary information. You may want to find some articles for her to read on the benefits of having her female spayed and the dangers of pregnancy and of the overpopulation and neglect that animals are encountering.

mom_to_many
March 20th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Take her to the nearest animal shelter/pound. Let her see the purebreds, the mixes, and the tags that give the euthanizing date due to overpopulation.

Bearsmom
March 20th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks, guys, great suggestions.

BMDLuver
March 20th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Here's some information you could share:

First time mom's are not always good at caring for their pups so, if she doesn't need a c-section($800) plus medical care for the pups as they can't normally feed after a c-section ($1000), then she could be looking at bottle feeding to supplement every two hours. This means formula, sleep deprivation, etc.. as they are tiny pups, you need to watch for hypoglycemia and off to the vets for rehydrating and boosting of calories. If they are too weak to bottle feed or just are not good at latching on to a fake nipple, then it's tube feeding which should be done by someone who knows how as the error in inserting the tube can mean that the lung is filled with formula instead of the stomach. You have to stimulate for all bodily functions as well as mom won't do it necessarily.

If she ends up being a good mom, it's 12 weeks of a messy house and the cost of feeding a litter with a mom is very high. So by the end of it, you might be lucky to break even on a pup as you can't ask a ton of money for a puppy that's mom has no credentials, show record or registration papers neither health testing.

The puppy racket really is not a lucrative one.

Lucky Rescue
March 20th, 2006, 10:53 AM
The puppy racket really is not a lucrative one
Not if you are the least bit ethical.

Tell her to read this, if she thinks having a litter of puppies is Disney-esque in the least.

http://warrentonkc.tripod.com/wnt2brd.htm

Skryker
March 20th, 2006, 10:56 AM
That's the sort of info I was thinking of, BMDLuver. I would never consider it myself, so I had no figures to go with my thoughts.

dogbyte40
March 20th, 2006, 12:00 PM
I think BMD is right on! If that does'nt work then don't beat yourself up about it some people just don't get it!

BMDLuver
March 20th, 2006, 12:39 PM
That's the sort of info I was thinking of, BMDLuver. I would never consider it myself, so I had no figures to go with my thoughts.
Unfortunately, most rescues know the numbers because they've had to pay them out to help a dog that is just too late to abort.

Skryker
March 20th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Rescue people are amazing! :thumbs up . I don't have the financial resources or the temperment, myself. I'm way too tender-hearted. I tried with the semi-feral cats my neighbour was feeding and ended up crying too often over them since I couldn't save them. I wish I'd known about this site back then-maybe I could've found a way to save more of them. :sad:

Prin
March 20th, 2006, 01:36 PM
I'd also say that even after one heat, the doggy can develop pyometra (uterus fills with pus) and if that happens, she's likely to lose her dog.

Some vets also charge more after one heat for the spaying because the horns of the uterus get significantly larger and the blood system to them is much greater and more risky to operate on.