Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I have a ? about shelters

mhass1129
March 20th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Exactly how much care should a city-owned animal shelter provide? Because my husband was furious at the condition of our puppy when we brought him home - and the people at the vet were concerned as well. So what is an acceptable standard of what you expect an animal shelter to provide for the animals waiting to be adopted?

BMDLuver
March 20th, 2006, 10:25 AM
As it's a city run shelter, they have a mandate. I would check with the city as to what the contract stipulates. They may be not up to the standard but no one has said anything. Also, your pup may have arrived in very bad shape and what you received was a great improvement. Medical care is sometimes very limited in a shelter situation and not necessarily manditory beyond the first vaccination and worming.

mhass1129
March 20th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I don't expect them to do much other than deworming, vaccinaitons, spay/neutering, and getting them to a good home where the owners can provide the rest of the care the pet may need. my concern is that they may not have even noticed that my dog wasn't eating the whole week or so it spent at the shelter - he wasn't even weaned yet!

BMDLuver
March 20th, 2006, 10:48 AM
It's very common for shelters to get a litter of pups without the mom so there is no weaning time. I'm not advocating this shelter but pointing out that perhaps what they did was the best they are able to do under the circumstances? A lot of times the shelters are terrible overrun, the staffs hands are tied as to what they are permitted to do for the animals, etc.. daily we see cases that need immediate vet care but the shelter is not equipped to handle it or are not allowed to go beyond a certain point medically and man hour wise. It's not a pretty world out there in most shelters but getting additional information, etc.. may help the next pup that comes along who was like yours. Sometimes the big picture is much more than the small life in front of you. :sad:

Prin
March 20th, 2006, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't neuter or vaccinate/deworm. Those are costly and pounds are not usually the ones who take responsibility to avoid more unwanted litters.

mhass1129
March 20th, 2006, 03:00 PM
I wasn't as upset as my husband was. I don't think he understands all that shelters have to deal with and the few resources they usually have. But I thought it would be a good question to ask before I let him go on a rant :eek: LOL. I have to say, just finding those pets a home is an accomplishment. And I don't mind the hard work that we needed to put into this lil' guy.

I'll have my husband read your posts when he gets home.

Thanks!