Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Medication

Cyanne
March 20th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Hi,
I'm from Montreal, Quebec and just wanted to relate an incident that I hope may prevent the same from happening to someone else. I was administering medication to my elderly dog, prescribed by my vet at the time. Typically the Vet would put his own instructions over the bottle's label. He put his instructions on a bottle of medication that was already 3 months expired at the time. He sold me an 8 month supply, claiming that it was all he had available. Needless to say, this caused innumerable problems for my dog and thankfully did not result in his death. When I spoke to the Vet about my discovery (after many tests, and hospitalizations) he accused me of being negligent with my pets health! My dog reached the grand old age of 17 thanks to my steadfast care. So I guess what I'm trying to communicate here is: always find the expiry on any bottle of medication (even if you have to peel off another label), never buy more than a month's supply at a time and if you live in Montreal, NEVER go the *****************.

Please read the rules. This post is slanderous and has been edited. Do not post the name of the vet again. Thank you.

Beaglemom
March 20th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks for posting the warning. It is always a good idea to check the expiration date of all medications.

Sorry to hear that you went through this with your furbaby. Glad to hear that all is well now.

mhass1129
March 20th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks for posting I didn't even notice! Since my puppy is on medication now I'll check the expiration dates. Actually I think I did for one of them... but now I'm going to double check!

Cyanne
March 20th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Hi,

It's incredible how vigilant we have to be not only with our own medication but with our loved ones medication as well.
Enjoy your new puppy!

mhass1129
March 20th, 2006, 02:48 PM
well they both expire long after my puppy is supposed to take them - I'll just remember to throw them out once he's done with the treatment. =)

OntarioGreys
March 20th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Unfortunately a lot of meds that come in pill or capsule form are sold to the vets in large qty containers and they transfer it into smaller pill contains and label that, If your pet is on daily meds, you might need to order a six month supply to recieve the manufacturer container inorder to know if the meds are within the expiry period

mhass1129
March 20th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Well he only has to take them for 10 days and no more. So far so good! and I peered under the vet's instructions.