Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Exotic pets in the UK

chico2
March 20th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Yesterday I was,to say the least,stunned and dismayed at the many exotic animals kept as pets in the UK.
Animalplanet showed a special,the animals included mere-cats(sp?),monitorlizards,leopards,ozelots,large iguanas etc,etc...
The one man was even breeding leopards,to sell to whom,I don't know??
I was surprised since in most European countries,exotics cannot be kept as pets.
One man was breeding Bengal cats,beautiful by the way and they are not considered exotics,but he sold the kittens for up to 60.000(don't know if it was pounds,euros or $$$):confused:

jiorji
March 20th, 2006, 11:27 AM
WHAT?!?!?! you can own a LEOPARD in UK??

hmm...interesting........:evil:

Rick C
March 21st, 2006, 10:14 AM
One guy near here has two Bison in a small acreage yard . . . . . they're well fed but geez, I just can't see the point and they're certainly not exercised given the space they have.

There was a guy in New York City who was mauled to death in his SMALL APARTMENT by his pet bengal tiger.

What is wrong with people?

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Stewart
March 25th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Unfortunately we do have folk who get hold of exotic animals over here, In fact not an hours drive from me is a national parkland and for years now there have been various sightings of big black cats. Sheep grazing have been found dead and pictures from various sightings seem to show black panthers which surely are the cast offs of these daft people who tried to keep them as pets only to throw them out into the countryside when they found they couldnt keep them.:sad:

Mishkamax
March 25th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Yes, I live in a very rural area of scotland and I have had a sighting of a very large cat, this thing was huge, I tried to track it with the binoculars but lost it. I then heard of lamb killings which were unlike the usual fox killings. People in the UK do and have done kept animals like these for pets. The laws changed a while back and I reckon loads of them were dumped and they possibly headed up here, they are definately around too many sightings.

chico2
March 25th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Stewart and Mishkamax,wow,that is unbelievable..:eek:
But I am sure the UK is not alone,there are goings on in the US(maybe even Canada),where wild big cats are"hunted"by big brave hunters who pay mega-bucks to kill a trapped,drugged big cat and other horror stories about the treatments of,in my view,the most beautiful animals on earth.
There was even a story of a taxidermist(sp)who bought live tigers,leopards etc...just to kill them and sell them as display-animals:evil: