Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A sure sign of spring

Skryker
March 19th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Not only are there suddenly lots of birds around, but the Peregrine falcons that nest in my neighbourhood have returned. Yay! I thought that I had heard them, but 2 mornings ago I got a good look at one-it was in a tree nearby, mantling and crying out. I think it was a territorial display, but I'm not sure.
I'm hoping that they are going to nest just across the street from me again. They did last year, but the 3 previous years they nested nearby.
I love to watch them teach their fledglings to fly. It's noisy but hilarious as the young ones flap around for the first time. Usually, there is at least one that flys to the nearest tree and then holds on for dear life, refusing to move and screaming for its parents. Loving parents that they are, they fly at the little one and knock it off the branch so it will pratice flying:D .

And they keep the local pigeon population in check...;) which is good for the paint on my car ;) .

Prin
March 19th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Yeah, we saw a hawk last weekend.. That must mean the rodents are out of hibernation. I haven't seen our resident groundhog yet though. (our neighbors are asking us what we plan on doing with him...:o :eek: )

doggy lover
March 19th, 2006, 06:44 PM
I just came back from the cottage still lots of snow up there, but I saw a robin the other day.

Skryker
March 19th, 2006, 06:48 PM
That is a beautiful picture! Whenever I see a robin in the snow, I wonder if it is thinking "I came back for THIS?".

A resident groundhog, huh? :crazy: I love them! There was a huge old guy on my Grandmother's farm for years-used to trundle across the road and sun himself on the woodpile. Eventually he was snow white with age. So what are you going to do with yours? :D