Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sneezy Snoty Cat

fantasticturtle
March 18th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Both of our cats have recently started sneezing and snot is coming out of their nose when they sneeze and sometimes their nose just runs. This just started today. Is this something I should be concerned about? Or just something to watch? Is vet attention needed asap?

Thank you for you help in advance.

LavenderRott
March 18th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Probably upper respitory. I would call the vet first thing Monday morning and get them in. If it is a cold and goes untreated, it could become something more serious.

cpietra16
March 19th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Probably upper respitory. I would call the vet first thing Monday morning and get them in. If it is a cold and goes untreated, it could become something more serious.

I second that...all three of my new cats had the same and one had to be put on antibiotics...don't wait, especially if they're young

Lucky Rescue
March 19th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Yes, take them to the vet if the discharge from nose or eyes is green or yellowish or if they become lethargic and/or refuse to eat. This means there is a secondary infection which will need antibiotics.

If the discharge is clear and colourless, then just make sure they are eating and drinking well and they should recover on their own in a week or 10 days.

Regularly wipe their eyes and nose to keep them clean.

erykah1310
March 20th, 2006, 03:49 PM
sounds like upper respiratory, definately bring to vet, they will prescribe anibiotics.