Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My new dog won't pee

mr_toad80
March 18th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Hi guys,

I just got my first dog yesterday from the humane society. Sasha's been like a dream; already crate trained, doesn't get her nose into things she shouldn't, shy, sweet, and cuddly. But...she hasn't peed! At all, as far as I can tell! It's been at least 27 hours now since I got her...she didn't go in the car, she hasn't gone outside, and I haven't found a trace of urine in my apartment. She did poo on her walk this afternoon. She has been drinking...not a lot, mind you, but she knows where her water dish is and I've seen her use it. She doesn't seem to be in any visible discomfort. She was pretty timid on her first day here but she's getting more comfortable with her surroundings and with me. So why won't she pee? Any ideas?

Thanks!
Rob

mr_toad80
March 18th, 2006, 08:50 PM
LOL...27 hours and she decided to pee as I was posting that message. Huge mess on the carpet. Hey, she was almost perfect...just not quite housetrained yet!

Thanks anyway,
Rob

Lucky Rescue
March 18th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Awwww, poor girl! This is very common with newly adopted dogs. My dog also peed on the floor a couple times after I brought her home, even though she was completely housetrained. She just wasnt' sure about where to go, etc.

Just ignore the mess and take her out regularly. Praise her for going outside and she'll catch on very quickly!

Thanks for adopting an adult dog!:thumbs up

joeysmama
March 18th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Aww ! The poor thing. I'm glad she finally went.

When we first brought Joey home we thought he was just very docile. But as he got more comfortable and we got to know him we looked back on those first few days and realized that he was just unsure in his new surroundings.

I wish you a lot of love and happiness with your new addition !:love:

Prin
March 18th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Sometimes, with all the new smells, they're shy to go outside too. What we did with Boo was we walked him until he peed (about 3 hours of walking) and gave him a handful of cookies. He was ok after that.