Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi Everyone

Richson
March 18th, 2006, 03:21 PM
I registered here to get some info on some dogs, my family is looking to get a dog but we have a few requirements and i was hoping i could get some suggestions here.

Basically my dad is allergic to dogs so were looking for something not too hairy or something that doesnt shed too much. Also we are not home as much as most people so a dog that doesnt mind being independent is a plus. Also not looking for anything too big although we do have a decent sized backyard.

What i was thinking of is a miniature Husky but cant find anywhere with info on them and where i could look into purchasing one. If anyone has any info on this or suggestions of other dogs it would be very appreciated.

chris

Prin
March 18th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Sorry but I don't know of any dog that likes to be independent all the time... Frankly, your criteria sound like the perfect cat...

Richson
March 18th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Sorry but I don't know of any dog that likes to be independent all the time... Frankly, your criteria sound like the perfect cat...

yeah thats very true, dont know if independent is the word but a dog that
does well alone.

anyone with miniature husky info?

LavenderRott
March 18th, 2006, 08:00 PM
OK.

First off, there is no such breed as a miniature husky - so if someone is selling you one, they are doing it for the money and chances of your puppy living a long and healthy life is slim.

There are a couple of breeds of dogs that are "non-shedding". Poodles, Bichons, Yorkies come to mind. Oh, there is an Irish Water something or other (looks like a standard poodle with a thinner tail - usually black). Because they don't shed, all 3 breeds listed above need to be groomed by someone whe knows what they are doing.

All other breeds of dogs shed. Huskies lose HUGE amounts of hair in the spring and fall. Great clumps of undercoat! The rest of the year they shed like you do - everyone loses hair everyday. While short haired dogs seem to shed more, they really don't. They just don't lose clumps of hair at season changes like the hairer breeds.

Before getting a dog, however, please honestly look at the amount of time you will have to spend with it. A dog is as big a commitment as a child. They depend on you for everything, just like a child.

And check with rescue groups and shelters. Since you are gone a lot, housebreaking a pup isn't going to happen. An older dog will make an equally lovely companion and require a bit less time then a puppy.

joeysmama
March 18th, 2006, 09:48 PM
LavenderRott, do you mean the Portugese water dog? When we were first looking into what would be a good breed for us that one came up. When my son was in high school he had allergies and that breed was recommended along with poodles, shih tzus and (I think) dachsunds. (My son has since gotten his allergies under control with a simple change in diet--fur was not really the problem)

I don't think any of these breeds would do well left alone for long periods of time.

I agree with LavenderRott that you should find an older dog.

LavenderRott
March 18th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Portugal - Ireland --those countries are pretty close together, aren't they? :cool:

Dachshunds shed too. Someone once told my mom that Boston Terriers didn't shed, but when we went to their house to see a litter of pups we saw that all of their furniture was covered with sheets!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 18th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I wouldnt reccomend any kind of husky they shed like crazy, in huge clumps - another breed that doesnt shed to much is the cocker spaniel - there is another discussion about them in another thread . Mine rarely sheds at all http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24857

good luck

Prin
March 18th, 2006, 10:41 PM
I don't think any of these breeds would do well left alone for long periods of time. Nope, so far most of the breeds mentioned are very human-dependent doggies. The only independent dogs out there are farm dogs who are too busy working to wonder where their humans are.

Dogs are pack animals.

LavenderRott
March 18th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Nope, so far most of the breeds mentioned are very human-dependent doggies. The only independent dogs out there are farm dogs who are too busy working to wonder where their humans are.

Dogs are pack animals.

There are a couple of breeds of larger dogs that were bred for, and still used to, live with and protect flocks of sheep.

While they are not human aggressive, they usually are much more independant that one would even want for a pet that they only spent evenings with.

Richson
March 18th, 2006, 10:51 PM
what im actually looking for info on is the Alaskan Klee Kai which is the proper name for a miniature Husky.

Prin
March 18th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I get that, but how will a mini husky work with your dad's allergies?

LavenderRott
March 18th, 2006, 11:06 PM
what im actually looking for info on is the Alaskan Klee Kai which is the proper name for a miniature Husky.

Then why didn't you just ask about that instead of telling us about your daughter's allergies?

If I am not mistaken, there is a parent club for the "breed" in the U.S. You might try googling it.

There is NO reputable registry that will register the breed. I do believe that maybe one of the puppy mill registries do though.

PLEASE do a LOT of homework before you dish out money for a pup. Since this is a "new breed" chances are a pup is going to cost you plenty and your daughter will still be allergic to it. Because there is lots of money to be made on these puppies, there are plenty of people out there willing to take advantage of someone who just wants a pup and doesn't care enough to spend the time doing the research.

Huskies are pack animals and don't do well alone. They are also bred to run and many are escape artists - very difficult to be left out in the yard for any period of time.

Prin
March 18th, 2006, 11:07 PM
LavenderRott- it's his dad who is allergic.;)

joeysmama
March 18th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Please keep in mind that because you like a breed that doesnt make it the right breed for you. When I first looked into the Portugese Water Dog I loved the look of the breed, I loved the characteristics of the breed etc. But at that time my kids were super busy and I was recovering from surgery and my husband had a long commute and worked long hours. As much as I loved the breed a high energy dog would not have gotten the attention it deserved. So we got a small, adult rescue dog and that turned out to be perfect for us.

Think about it. Will you be getting annoyed with the doggie for shedding a few months from now? If you think that the fur is not something you can live with then rethink the whole idea.

Sometimes Plan B turns out to be just what you needed after all.

Richson
March 18th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I get that, but how will a mini husky work with your dad's allergies?

not so concerned, anyone know somewhere in ontario to get this breed?

LavenderRott
March 18th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Basically my dad is allergic to dogs so were looking for something not too hairy or something that doesnt shed too much. Also we are not home as much as most people so a dog that doesnt mind being independent is a plus. Also not looking for anything too big although we do have a decent sized backyard.

Ok. So ARE any of these things that you mention in your post of any concern?

The Klee Kia IS NOT an established breed. In the little bit of research that I have done on it (which is considerably less then YOU need to do before you decide to get one), they have only been bred for the last decade or so and all of the genetic problems from breeding the size down from the Siberian have not been worked out yet.

They shed a LOT. They are pack animals and do not do well when left alone for hours at a time and chances are they will not stay in your backyard, no matter what the size.

There are very few breeders in the U.S. and I am not sure if there are any in Canada.

Prin
March 18th, 2006, 11:25 PM
I still say the best dog for you is a cat. Or even a fish. Huskies are among the dogs who are the most pack-oriented and will not do well alone. They'll escape, get bored and chew themselves or everything around them. Small or big, a husky is a husky.

SnowDancer
March 19th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Prin is right. A Husky is a Husky is a Husky - no matter the size. Although certainly the more mucking about that is done with the breed will most likely only lead to health problems down the road. The Husky breed sheds and I can assure you does not like to be left alone. My friend took one in that was being abandoned after a few years. He gets along very well with my Eskimo who also sheds and who also hates to be left alone. I agree - a cat. Also many of the short-haired breeds do shed - and I can personally assure you that Dachshunds shed a lot - just don't appear to until you see your clothes in the light.