Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Floor Cleaner

raingirl
March 18th, 2006, 11:50 AM
What floor cleaners do you guys use?

I live in an apartment with parquet in about 75% of the apartment. The bathroom and kitchen/front hall are some kind of ichy linoleum tile that stains BADLY!

I used to use the swiffer wet jet in my old place,but it was smaller and worked well for just me. Now in the apartment which is bigger, with my BF and dog, the floor space is too big and too dirty. It's great for small messes/quick cleaning for small areas, but not my whole apartment.

I like pinesol as I find it's the only thing that actually cleans the floor well. But because of the dog I'm always paranoid he will get sick if he licks the floor. I a vinegar and water mix, but it didn't clean at all, and made my place stink.

Any ideas?

angie79
March 18th, 2006, 11:57 AM
MR. CLEAN!!!!

comes in many scents. and antibacterial *(sp) dont worry about your dog licking the floor.. once i turned around and cooper was drinking out of the bucket :rolleyes: and didn't get sick at all!!!

Cooper has a thing for bubbles!!!

Prin
March 18th, 2006, 08:14 PM
I use very very diluted hertel and I keep the doggies out until it's dry...

Writing4Fun
March 18th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Ceramica Bella. Good for all surfaces and no rinsing necessary. :thumbs up

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 18th, 2006, 08:17 PM
actually if you have wood floors or fake wood floors I would reccomend going to a flooring place and getting a cleaner specfically for those types of floors. I also use a Microfiber Mop and you just throw it in the wash after you use it. I like it way better than the swiffers.

Actually right now I am out of the floor cleaner and it is pricey $25.00 a bottle so I am using fantastic Oxy Clean on my whole house now, including carpets and floors (its probably not that great for the floors)

papillonmama
March 18th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I like Pine-sol it really cleans well, but I can't stand the smell, that's why I don't send hubby to get the cleaners anymore, leave it to him and it's pinesol on everything. I like Oxy Gel claners, like Vim, they have some very feminine scents, and it says on the label that when diluted you don't have to rinse.

When I had no choice and had to live with the parquet, the landlord told me to get a swiffer, said that it would save the varnish on the floors. It was a really really big apartment, but because I swept and mopped daily or every other day it wasn't so bad.

Skryker
March 19th, 2006, 02:21 PM
For the hardwood, we got a kit at a floor place (where my husband rented the sander to refinish some of our floors). The cleaner is called Mirage and it works like a charm on the wood. The mop it came with has a terrycloth cloth on it that goes right into the washer and cleans up well. I think it was about 25$ for the kit, but the spray cleaner stuff lasts forever.
My fave lino cleaner is well diluted Vim thick bleach in lemon scent. I keep the dogs off until it's dry. And Mr Clean Magic Erasers took off scuffs I thought would never go away.

jessi76
March 19th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Kitchen/Bath: I trust Lysol. On my hardwood areas I use Murphy's Oil Soap. For quick clean up I use the Swiffer wet pads. And for immediate clean-ups I use clorox wipes.

papillonmama, I'm w/ you on the pine-sol.... the smell makes me gag. YUCK!

Skryker
March 19th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Oh, of course, Murphy's Oil Soap! Never without it. The mirage is good for quick clean ups. I love the smell of Murphy's, though. Says clean house to me. Guess it's because my Mom and Grandma swear by it.
Something Mom used to get as a wood conditioner (and I don't know if they still even make it) was Scott's Liquid Gold. It might have been a degreaser, too. She used to use it on our kitchen cabinets. I'll have to look for some, now that I think of it. We've got plaster dust in the cracks in the floor-ugh!

Prin
March 19th, 2006, 06:26 PM
I totally forgot about murphy's oil! That's great for wood.

SnowDancer
March 20th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I may have it backwards, but I believe that Murphy's Oil is not recommended for floors that have been sealed with varathane.

jessi76
March 20th, 2006, 01:45 PM
it should not be used on unfinished, unsealed or waxed wood floors. It's fine for polyurethaned floors.

Prin
March 20th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Oh that's true! :o It's good on waxed floors if you intend to rewax afterward. It removes all the wax.