Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

BSL in London ONT

lezzpezz
March 18th, 2006, 09:43 AM
newspaper article from Fridays rag, but BSL specific so I put it here. Crosspost mediators?

PIT BULL LICENCE RENEWAL LAGGING
Friday, March 17, 2006

Hundreds of unlicensed pit bulls could be living in London despite a provincial ban and strict regulations backed by steep fines.
Jay Stanford, the city's manager of environmental services, says London could have 340 unlicensed pit bulls based on the number of owners who haven't renewed their dogs' licences from last year.

"We really don't know how many are out there, but we know there are 340 owners who haven't come in for licence renewals," he said.

About 500 pit bulls in London are licensed, he said. "Our plan now is to get back to these folks (who don't have licences). We've given them a lot of time to register and they've had lots of notification. Now it's a matter of finding out if they need a fine to convince them we're serious."

Stanford said the city will crack down on the owners of unlicensed dogs at the end of the month with letters, phone calls, visits and possibly fines.

When the province amended the Dog Owners' Liability Act banning pit bulls last fall, the city followed up with a supporting bylaw.

Existing pit bulls were grandfathered under the law.

The new laws require owners to have their pit bulls sterilized and microchipped. The dogs must be leashed and muzzled in public. The licensing fee is $50 plus an application fee of $10.

A judge recently approved the fine schedule of $70 to $500 for a dog running at large.

A judge recently approved the city's fine schedule that ranges from $70 to $500 for a dog running at large. Not licensing a dog carries a fine of up to $200.

The city also adopted a policy to pursue the maximum court sentence -- a $10,000 fine and six months in jail -- under the Dog Owners' Liability Act for owners of dogs that bite a person or domestic animal in the city.

Beth Sayler, past president of the London Dog Owners' Association, said she's not surprised many owners haven't licensed their pit bulls.

"I think a lot of them are scared to death to license their pets because they feel they're being targeted," Sayler said.

Others may have sent their pets to new owners out of province, or even had their dogs euthanized.

With the cost of licensing, not to mention the estimated $200 to $300 for sterilization and microchipping, some owners may not be able to afford licences, Sayler said.

"I also think some are waiting for the outcome of a court challenge to see if the law is overturned before they pay and others simply don't agree with the law," she said.

Toronto lawyer Clayton Ruby has launched a constitutional court challenge of the provincial law. The issue is expected to return to court in May.

Stanford said the city is being "extremely cautious" enforcing the bylaw because of the court challenge.

Fears that hundreds of pit bulls would turn up at shelters and be euthanized haven't been realized, Stanford said.

This year, 28 pit bulls have been euthanized, about the same rate of 10 a month as last year. There are 24 pit bulls now impounded waiting to be claimed by owners.

"There were fears pit bulls would be abandoned, but we're not seeing any of that here in London," Stanford said. "But it has been unusually quiet, although that's probably in part because it's winter and many dogs are indoors."

The province imposed the ban after a number of vicious attacks by pit bulls on people and pets.

wdawson
March 18th, 2006, 09:59 AM
its all about the money....and not the animals....grab that $20,000 before its gone in may....i wonder if they give refunds when the bsl is thrown out.......doubt they will give back $10,000.

lezzpezz
March 18th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I totally agree.

As an aside, I sent this to my neighbour who refuses to comply to anything including responsible dog ownership. Don't know why I bother to try..... Her dog's already bit her daughter, tried to kill eachother and she won't get the one spayed, vaccinated etc. Forget about liscencing! She is one of "those" owners...."Oh, they never go off the property....They never see other dogs...."

Then she complains about the "heat" the youngster gets into....and the fighting....pisses me off......:mad:

wdawson
March 18th, 2006, 10:17 AM
those type of people are the reason we are in this situation......

twodogsandacat
March 18th, 2006, 10:59 AM
But still you must find this interesting:

Stanford said the city is being "extremely cautious" enforcing the bylaw because of the court challenge.

Smart move Mr. Stanford.

One Liberal MPP I spoke with said 'nobody is going to enforce this anyways'. The reality is that when it is tied to money it will be. An SPCA that refuses to enforce it could lose contracts and funding.

Instead I would love to see a few municipalities make a mistake and suddenly realize that they are now being charged for the defendantís costs.

twodogsandacat
March 18th, 2006, 11:25 AM
She is one of "those" owners...."Oh, they never go off the property....

Why are these owners an issue? They have good dogs that never leave the property.

At the bottom of my street there is a cute as heck dog that looks like Benji. He doesn’t run out to attack us, he doesn’t bark, he doesn’t leave the sidewalk in front of his home…he is not behind an electrical fence. He is as harmless as they come. He simply watches us until we pass. I want to give him cookies but I don’t want to send a message that I am his friend. How could I possibly have a problem with this sweet little dog?

Because it is wrong.

On another street I know is a family that owns three Rottis. Same thing. They absolutely do not leave the property, they do not bark they do not threaten but they sure as hell intimidate and I'm a dog lover. The owner has said they are ‘not a problem, they are good dogs’. They are good dogs but maybe there is a trigger yet undiscovered that may bring one of them off of the property. It's a very nice house and even an invisible fence would be some what of a comfort.

On another Street (dead end into the park) a Jack Russell terrorizes us and on that street I muzzle my one dog simply because if it ever got hold of that animal it would not be pretty. I not saying there would be blood but it would definitely look like a big dog attacking a little dog. Neighbours on that street have told me that “we just want you to know that’s not our dog” and another even said “take the muzzle off”. However I was also told that he is ‘great with all the nieghbourhood kids. Maybe he is but the street leads into a park and anybody (with a dog) should be free to walk down it.

On another street three neighbours at a corner allow their dogs to be loose. Is it an issue? Not to them but I once saw a man berate one of them when one of the ‘friendly ‘ dogs ignored a ‘come’ command and went running up to the not so friendly on a leash dog being taken down to the beach. Who’s wrong there? I found the owner of the ‘good’ dog to be a lot ruder than the poor man trying to get his dog pass this ‘hotspot’

And as much as I do not support BSL I absolutely avoid a street where a pit bull is tied to the side of a house on a chain my dog could break. It might not be a problem but that one pulls at the chain. Another street I avoid is an open yard with a Rotti on a chain. Chains break, I don't want to be there when they do.

There is another street where a pit bull is off leash, in the yard (unfenced) with the owner...not an issue but still. I have not gone down that street since the ban went into effect so I dont know if it is now fenced.

So when the sweet dogs (big and small) are allowed to roam free it sends the message that “if they aren’t pit bulls’ it’s not a problem.

What is responsibility? To me it is that ALL dogs are behind a barrier to protect us and to protect THEM.

lezzpezz
March 18th, 2006, 11:57 AM
"As an aside, I sent this to my neighbour who refuses to comply to anything including responsible dog ownership. Don't know why I bother to try..... Her dog's already bit her daughter, tried to kill eachother and she won't get the one spayed, vaccinated etc. Forget about liscencing! She is one of "those" owners...."Oh, they never go off the property....They never see other dogs...."

Then she complains about the "heat" the youngster gets into....and the fighting...."

what I mean by one of "those" owners is the kind that do nothing for the benefit of the animal: vaccination, spay/neuter/training/socialization/taking animals to the vet when ripped open by eachother....instead she calls me to come patch them up an ignores me when I clearly say that the dogs need veterinary help. They do NOT have "good dogs" that never leave the propery....these dogs run amok from time to time and try to kill each other regularly.....

lezzpezz
March 18th, 2006, 12:10 PM
sorry, had to switch computers as I am at work:rolleyes: busy, eh?

I treat her dogs as dogs, not pit bulls, as the lineage of either is anyone's guess, although they do say one is pbXchow. It matters little here. What does matter is that these dogs are dangerous in their own home! and the owners do nothing to fix that, even after the one bit the daughter's hand very seriously and she had to be rushed to the hospital. Her hand is finally fine and she has regained use of it completely:thumbs up

These dogs are dangerous off property too, as they have been and the younger has chomped viciously at a few neighbourhood dogs. We have a wingding of a doberman at the top of the street that has attacked several dogs and people too! regardless of his "shock" collar....(don't even get me started on this one).

None of these dogs are tied or chained. Only a wee gate for the 2 pbX's? and nothing but a pretty ineffective shock collar for the dob.

I'm sorry if I wasn't communicating clearly....I was quoting her tongue in cheek;) . A dangerous dog is a dangerous dog, regardless of the breed. It just would sure be helpful if "those" owners would DO something to rectify the situation!:(

twodogsandacat
March 18th, 2006, 02:03 PM
OK I may of went off track a little but I think that's the problem with a lot of dog 'owners': They don't think it's an issue.

lezzpezz
March 18th, 2006, 02:24 PM
that's what I was trying to convey here....:rolleyes: