Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

car breaks

raingirl
March 18th, 2006, 08:36 AM
how much should brake replacement (pads/labour/etc) cost?

I had a quote at the dealership (some parts still under warrenty, and they serviced the car for previous owner, so we sticked with them) and they said $380 approx. I though this was way expensive, so I had a local garage that a lot of my co-workers use, and they quoted me the same.

I'm guessing that breaks are expensive (which I didn't know) or it must take a while to change them?

Frenchy
March 18th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Raingirl,it always depends on what kind of car you own.Parts are more expensive for some.Where I work,we charge 119.95 for labor, (front brakes or the rear ones) and the prices for parts vary from model.

angie79
March 18th, 2006, 09:18 AM
I did my breaks and lines for about 400 2 years ago. time before that was about 200... My bf bought the pads to do it him self and was about 40$ so if you know some handy check out how much the pads are at canadian tire... but if like me take it in!!!

joeysmama
March 18th, 2006, 09:37 AM
I'm embarassed to admit that I am pretty clueless about anything mechanical and depend too much on my husband and son.

But to show you that I'm drinking too much coffee this a.m., when I saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about how often do you stop the car on a trip for a potty break !

Maybe I should get off the computer and visit the loo. :o

Byrd
March 18th, 2006, 10:15 AM
LOL

It's perfect timing for this because I need mine done too :mad: and am going to start calling for quotes.

wdawson
March 18th, 2006, 10:22 AM
the garage we use at work charges $65 an hour labour plus parts

raingirl
March 18th, 2006, 10:38 AM
BF just got back with the bill. Good deal. All 4 brakes plus the parking brake (the old ones were the originals, as the car was hardly used by the first owner), plus brake fluid flush, and they topped up all our fluids, for $582.00. Not bad.

Prin
March 18th, 2006, 10:49 AM
yeah, that's about right. If you do it yourself, it'll take you a while but it'll all cost under $150 in parts. I swear one of these days I'm gonna learn.:D

raingirl
March 18th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Yeah. It seems like the parts are so much cheaper! It's the labour that costs ya!

angie79
March 18th, 2006, 11:16 AM
yup labour is the killer!!!!

I am happy to have a shop with in 5 min walk from me where the labour is about 35$/hr....

was really nice when my alternator went and they got me a used one... bill was 130$ vs when i bought a rebuilt one and the bill was 300$

Gazoo
March 18th, 2006, 11:32 AM
DON"T GO TO THE DEALER:eek:

Find a small honest mom and pop shop that will charge much less and more than likley do a better job.

raingirl
March 18th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I did, and they quoted me the same. If I am going to pay about the same, I would rather have the dealer do it. In the industry I work in, some of us are required to use our cars heavily for work. We have a shop where we all go, nice small place, very good, but they quoted me the same as the dealership, and they weren't going to use top of the line part. The dealership had the same cost, and were using better parts. for other things I go to the small shop, since i can walk there from work, but the dealership isn't always bad. Just have to get quotes first.

Gazoo
March 18th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Yes but..............

1. the dealership will have a wet behind the ears apprentice doing the work on your car while the mom and pop operation usually has people with years of experience right there on top of it.

2. the aftermarket "jobber" parts are most often BETTER quality than the "OEM" dealer parts for a better price

Byrd
March 18th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I agree with Gazoo. Unless it's warrantee work, I never go to the dealer.

angie79
March 18th, 2006, 01:30 PM
I'm looking for t toyota technician so I can get all the warranty work done on my car before the warranty is over!!! pm me if you know one or are one lol

Prin
March 18th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Hmm. I 'm the other way. I love my acura dealer and so far they're the only ones who haven't screwed me. I've had my brakelines cut at a ma and pa mechanic, while they were changing a bearing. I could have died. Another time, another ma and pa operation rebuilt my back brakes with GM parts (it was a toyota) and within a few hours, the pieces fell out and my brakes seized. I had to pay for towing to the garage because my car stopped moving on the highway. Nah, I like the dealers better. In quebec it's harder for a newbie to get a job at a dealer than at a ma and pa...