Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog with food allergy, what to feed her??????

cutie030719
March 17th, 2006, 11:16 PM
[F]Hi, I just joined this forum in the hopes that someone will be able to help me with my doggy problem. Well, last year I got a puppy from a pet store I used to work at. They were treating Pumpkin (my dog) for hot spots and something completely different than what she actually has. She hasn't been tested but I'm 110% positive she has food allergies, especially to chicken and beef for sure.
I just had her on a food that has Chicken in it and within not even a day, she broke out into a humongous rash that covered her whole stomach. Not to mention she has pulled out all of her hair on her back and on both her front and back legs. She also has sores and scabs on both her front and back legs and chews and licks at her paws. She looks so sad and I just want to make her better.
I give her omega fatty acid pills once a day like the vet said to, I also give her benadryl 2x's a day. I feed her Z/D from the vets which is an allergen free food and I give her an aloe and oatmeal shampoo bath once every 2 weeks or else she starts to smell and her fur and skin get really greasy and nasty to the touch.
I am trying to find a new food to put her on that will hopefully get her to stop scratching/ biting/ ripping out her hair and going crazy. It's not fair to her and I hate to imagine what she's going through. Does anyone have ANY suggestions on a type of food that is great for dogs with allergy's?? I'm so desperate, I'll try anything right now. I'm also trying to change her food because I can't afford to be paying $50 every 2 weeks for more food. It's ridiculous the prices the vets make you pay. I need suggestions, PLEASE!! [/FONT]

Prin
March 17th, 2006, 11:34 PM
What was the chicken free food you tried?

Here are my favorites for allergy doggies:

Of course, Solid Gold Wolf King (what I feed my doggies- one is allergic to wheat and corn and the other to chicken) Wolf king (http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=62&code=170).
Bison | Salmon Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Oatmeal | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Garlic | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Selenomethionine | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

Wellness Fish and sweet potato: Fish and sweet potato (http://www.omhpet.com/dogs/wellness_detail.asp?pCode=dryDogSup5MixSwtPot): Whitefish, Ground Barley (dehulled), Rye Flour, Menhaden Fish Meal, Ground Pearled Barley, Sweet Potatoes, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Tomato Pomace (natural source of lycopene), Natural Fish Flavor, Flaxseed, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride.

Timberwolf organics Ocean Blue (very, very hard to find in Canada): Product list (http://www.timberwolforganics.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?&pg=ste_oform#)
Low Ash White Fish Meal, Salmon, Potatoes, Sardine/Mackerel/Anchovy/Tuna Oils, Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, Potassium Chloride, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Blueberries, Cranberries, Pears, Figs, Thyme, Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon Bark, Fenugreek, Garlic Pieces, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Apples, Taurine, Spirulina, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), Lysine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Methionine, Carnitine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine (a source of vitamin B6), Copper Proteinate, Selenium Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

Dick Van Patten Natural Balance duck and potato: DVP duck and sweet potato (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/PandD.html)
Potatoes, Duck, Duck Meal, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Potato Fiber, DL-methionine, L-Lysine, Sodium Chloride, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Rosemary Extract, Natural Flavor, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9).

Dick Van Patten Natural Balance Fish and potato: DVP fish and sweet potato (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/SPFish.html)
Sweet Potatoes, Salmon, Salmon Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Canola Oil (preserved With Mixed Tocopherols And Citric Acid), Sweet Potato Fiber, Dl-methionine, L-lysine, Sodium Chloride, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Rosemary Extract, Natural Flavor, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9).

The thing is, to pinpoint the problem, you have to go back the lists of ingredients of the things that made her itch more than others and see what the differences are. The foods I listed are foods with ingredients that most dogs have not had in their lifetimes. But if your dog has already had an ingredient in the list, you might want to skip to the next one.

Brenda_D_H
March 20th, 2006, 06:54 PM
PetValu and other pet stores have fish based foods that I have had to feed my dogs in the past. And, it helped. Don't forget though, that the treats you give them have to be meat free, or fish based as well.

SnowDancer
March 21st, 2006, 10:47 AM
I also feed a fish based food. I know this will sound weird, but I have very sensitive skin - and have been diagnosed as being extremely sensitive to products formulated for sensitive skin. If I were to apply aloe vera to my skin I would break out into a rash. Just a thought - maybe try not using the aloe vera.

hounds003
March 21st, 2006, 12:30 PM
I know the allergy tests are expensive but they will pinpoint what her allergies are. One of my guys has allergies that we assumed was to some kind of food. After trying all different brands and nothing helped we got the testing done. The results showed he doesn't have any food allergies, the only thing he's allergic to is dust.
It does sound like your girls allergies are related to foods. I hope you find one that works well for her. Prin mentioned some excellent choises!

Dog Dancer
March 21st, 2006, 05:10 PM
I have gotten so much information on this topic from Prin and value it dearly. I have been unable to get Ocean Blue, but did get Oh Natural Salmon and Oatmeal. My dog also has serious food allergies - especially chicken. Some dogs are also allergic to the grains and oatmeal may not work. But nobody else has said yet to watch for the fats listed on the foods and treats. If it says animal fat it could be poultry. And while my vet told me that the fats have the protein removed which is what most dogs are allergic to, poultry fat still bothered my dog. Poultry fat is best to avoid and anything that just labels it as animal fat - too vague to risk it. The first food my vet put us on had poultry fat so it took us a while to figure it out. I tried a vegetarian diet also and that was a total failure that caused her to vomit every other day and she was starving on it. I've really had good results with Oh Natural Salmon and Oatmeal. But yes, do watch the treats closely as well. I now have a treat ball that Halo has mastered rolling around to get her kibbles out of. It entertains her greatly and I just use her dogfood kibble so I don't need to worry about the treats. Good luck.

cutie030719
March 22nd, 2006, 10:58 PM
:confused: Thank you everyone (especially Prin) for your advice and help with my problem. Well here's the update...I tried my baby girl Pumpkin on a food from Wellness that has Venison in it or something along those lines. Well she is still scratching and all that horrible stuff but I'm not sure if it's from the food I gave her before which was Pedigree. I'm unsure if it's still in her system but I'm pretty sure it is because of her reaction right now. She has open wounds that are bleeding terribly, she has scabs all under her chin, on her front and hind legs as well as on her snout and above her eyes and beside her eyes. She also has a pretty bad rash that's on her stomach and hind legs. The only way I get her to stop scratching is by using this laser I have which distracts her, as well as feeding her ice cubes constantly which she loves. I put cold wash clothes on her stomach to hopefully relieve some of the heat and itchiness she has. I do NOT feed her anything besides what she is being fed right now (Z/D from the vets). It's very expensive food and I can't continue to feed her that much longer because of the costs. I need something that's cheaper. I live in Ontario, Canada and the food I have to get for her every 2 to 3 weeks costs about $45 for the small bag! The big one is about $80-$85. Which is just wayyy too much for me to afford. Only reason I have her on it right now is because I hate to see her suffer! I don't even feed her scraps from our human food, don't give her dog treats, NOTHING. Anyways, I changed her shampoo to an Oatmeal and Colloidal shampoo which doesn't have an aroma really so it makes her fur so much better! I just hate having her suffer because there's nothing I can really do for her besides give her baths and ease her rashes and itching with cold clothes. I feel so horrible thinking what she's going through!! I know for a fact that she is definitely allergic to Chicken because she reacted horribly! As well as Beef because those are the two she has tried and both were horrible reactions. Fish and Sweet Potato I cannot put her on b/c she was on it before and it gave her terrible gas and the poops. I have no idea what to do. Please, I need help desperately!! Where should I start exactly when it comes to food?? I know you listed a lot of foods but I don't know where to start. Plus, some might not even be available here in Ontario...Thank you for all your help everyone! You have no idea how much I appreciate it!:ca: :thumbs up

Prin
March 22nd, 2006, 11:59 PM
After reading that, I'd say go back to the Wellness venison for now. You have to stick with one food for a few months. Allergies can take that long to clear up. I would also head to the vet for a cortisone shot. It will relieve her itchiness for a bit and let her heal. Right now, with open wounds, you can't be 100% sure whether she is more allergic or her wounds are just itchy, so you'll be running in circles.

Basically, what I would do is go to the vet, get the shot, then put her on a simple venison food (if you say she doesn't do well on fish) for a few months and see what happens. If she stays the same, keep going. If she is getting noticeably worse, you're going to have to find a new food again, or test for allergies.

Most of the foods I listed can be found in Ontario (just not the Timberwolf Organics).

Frenchy
March 23rd, 2006, 11:37 AM
If you are looking for something less expensive;Nutro Lamb and Rice.Not sure if your dog will be ok on it but mine are and there is one with the allergies,no problem on Nutro.Good luck.

OntarioGreys
March 25th, 2006, 06:50 PM
It is also possible that she is allergic to a grain instead, like rice

Take a look back at all the foods tried that seem to cause a reaction and see if they all have a common ingredient