Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

possible rescue needed

wdawson
March 17th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Now bear in mind i heard this third party , so i don't have all the facts.

Because i brag about the antics of my pets almost daily we where in pet talk mode.
her daughters friends families (late 30's parents) both purchased male goldens(brothers) that are about 1 year old. the one pup is very calm and loving.
the other has aparently been growly and nippy since they got him(i think at 12 weeks)not sure if any training was done. well last week aparently the son came home from school at lunch to put the dog out and got bit...broke the skin...went to the doctor (he is fine nothing serious,injury wise).
now the dog is in a 10 day quarentine....from what i was told they may want to put him down.
my question is , can this dog be rehomed or is it too big a risk?
should i bring up the subject to the third party in the hope of saving this youngin. and if i should bring it up,what rescue can i contact in the hamilton-oakville area.....i would even be willing to transport if the family agreed , anything but see this little guy put down , i just really want info just in case , because as i said i dont have the families story just third party story.

BMDLuver
March 17th, 2006, 09:03 PM
k, dog is one year old... is he neutered?

How old is the son that let him out? Why did the dog nip and break skin meaning did the kid grab him to let him out as it's not usual for a golden to nip.

wdawson
March 17th, 2006, 09:17 PM
thanks for the reply

think the kid must be in high school......not sure about the rest

BMDLuver
March 17th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Would they be willing to talk to a rescue person? If so, I can either pm you my number or you there's?

I'm a little sketchy on why the quarantine unless they wanted the dog removed from the home, but even so... it's not like the dog has rabies unless there's no proof of vaccination?

Something just seems a bit off and I'm not directing that at you just the information.

wdawson
March 17th, 2006, 09:27 PM
i know about as much as you do now.
i really want to have any and all info at hand when i approach the co-worker about the subject.....i think in ontario it is standard to quarintine in this type of situation..........all i want to do is help this little guy

Lucky Rescue
March 18th, 2006, 10:56 AM
It's nice you want to help this dog, but shelters and rescues are overrun with Goldens, many of them wonderful dogs who would never think of biting, and they can't get homes, merely because they are pumped out and dumped in such numbers that there aren't enough homes.

has aparently been growly and nippy since they got him

Not only this, but now this dog has a history of biting. I would hate to think of all the wonderful dogs who will die for lack of homes, while this one has valuable resources spent on it trying to fix this aggression. This dog sounds like the product of bad breeding, and this problem might be genetic.

It's sad, but we cannot save them all.:(

coppperbelle
March 18th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Although I too would love to save them all the reality is we cannot. This dog has been aggressive. I don't know about all rescue groups but I know ours will not consider taking a known aggressive dog. We could not take a chance of this dog biting again. As Lucky said some dogs inbreeding have caused serious behavioral problems.

wdawson
March 18th, 2006, 06:41 PM
i know you guys are right.....emotions get the better of you(me).....i honestly dont know how you do this day in and day out. you guys are great:thumbs up

maddoxies
March 18th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I am in Ontario now and can refer you to some of the Ontario Golden Rescue people. They may want to do an assessment, speak with the family, see if they can identify issues and if the dog can be helped.