Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Licking foot

SchnauzerGirl
March 17th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Ever since I took Schultz into be groomed last weekend, he has been licking his left paw, but the strange thing is, he only excessively licks it in the mornings... He is running and jumping fine and not holding his paw up like it hurts him, so I am not quite sure if it is an allergic reaction to the shampoo she washed him with or? He hasn't done this before and I have used the groomer before.

I had a really good look at it under a bright light last night and the skin between his pads is red, and obviously itchy. I can't see anything stuck in there though. I soaked his paw in some salt water solution this afternoon and will soak it again tonight, but wanted to know if anyone else has any suggestions? If it doesn't get any better by Monday, I'll taking him to the vet.

Oh yeh, and Schultz does have allergies, but we have been slowly getting them under control... If it is an allergic reaction, would it be to all his paws and not just one paw?

Prin
March 17th, 2006, 11:09 PM
The groomer might not have rinsed 100% of the soap off (the feet are the last thing to rinse). You might get more of a reaction in the coming days if it's an allergy to the shampoo, so be on the lookout. Whatever it is, you have to get it under control before the licking becomes a habit...

erykah1310
March 20th, 2006, 04:14 PM
My Kita gurl was licking like that and it turned out that she had an infection between the pads, Im not sure about any relationship to the shampoo, but it may become a habbit too. Id be sure to look into it especially if it is red

Cymba's friend
March 21st, 2006, 01:35 PM
Although it would be good to find the root cause of the irritation and itch (in order to avoid it next time you go to the groomer), once it is red and irritated, and they lick it, which then irritates it more, it can deteriorate to an infection (worst case). You may wish to take him to the Vet who can prescribe you something like Panalog cream, that soothes the itch, disinfects the irritated location, and helps healing. My previous German Shepherd frequently had rashes and itches (for different reasons) that he would lick until irrititated and raw, and Panalog did wonders quickly. But you do need a vet to examine it as Panalog is a prescription cream (even if very mild). Good luck.