Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stray: Feeding Schedule?

Lissa
March 17th, 2006, 01:31 PM
The cat I found yesterday is so underweight that all I want to do is feed him but I know I can't let him eat too much...I am just not sure where to draw the line.

So far he has been using up the "crappy wet food" that Minnow used to get on occasion (she only eats the gravy)...He has eaten 4 pouches and 1.5 tins since about 11:00am yesterday (and done 2 poops, 4 pees). He also has constant access to dry food which he doesn't seem to like too much (the dry is Solid Gold Adult)...

I don't really know if I am feeding him too much...or if I should have him on a schedule - right now, I am just feeding him when he goes to his bowl.

The dry food I bought today says to give 1/2 cup to a 5lbs kitten - but clearly he needs more than that since I am guessing he should weigh at least 10lbs... I bought some Merrick canned food as well.

Any suggestions?

jessi76
March 17th, 2006, 01:56 PM
honestly, I'd take it slow - he will put on weight, in time. I'd probably start small, 3/4-1 tin a day (meaning a 1/4 or 1/2 at each meal: morning/noon/night). if he's eating wet only. if he will eat the dry, i'd lessen the wet just a little.

Will you be taking the new kitty to the vet? there may be a medical reason for him being so underweight.

:thumbs up to you for helping out a needy kitty!

cpietra16
March 17th, 2006, 02:01 PM
He probably eats like that because he doesn't know when the next meal will come..My feral did that to for awhile until she ealized that there is always food available...just give him what he needs and take it away. I remember Tess stole my hamburger meat the first week she was there.:p

Lissa
March 17th, 2006, 03:10 PM
He went to the vet to be scanned for a microchip which he doesn't have. I left a stool sample with them. My friend is a vet tech and she is going to come and take a blood sample to check at her clinic, so it keeps the costs down.

Okay, I am going to free-feed him the amount of dry food he should be getting and offer a little bit of wet food on the side.

Thank you both! ;)

chico2
March 17th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Lissa,first thank's for taking care of him:love:
I would feed him canned food 1/2 small can twice a day,if you keep the can in the fridge,add a little warm water.
Eventually he will probably free-feed on the dry food if he's hungry.
My little Vinnie who was found in an industrial park,would in the beginning eat anything that was edible,as if it would be his last meal,it eased up with time...although he still finishes off my other 2 cats dishes,the little piggy:D
Have you got a name for him yet??

Lissa
March 18th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks Chico, I am really trying to NOT get attached because Minnow isn't taking his presence very well (even though he is confined to a room)... Being a Siamese its not too surprising that she'd throw such a fit.:)

I was originally calling him Thakur but have kinda switched to Roman (because he has a roman nose!) He hasn't shown too much personality yet so its been difficult finding a name that fits!

Nobody has called about him so I will probably be looking for a home soon. I hope that my clinic will be able to neuter ASAP.