Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

parvo inoculations

bklevar
March 17th, 2006, 08:40 AM
It's time again for the parvo inoculation for my 5 yr old dog. I would like your opinion if it is necessary. Do these vaccines not last the lifetime of the pet. People aren't vaccinated every three years and I am questioning these inoculations. If you have an opinion on this topic please let me know. Thanks

BMDLuver
March 17th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Have a titer test done and then you will have your answer as to whether your canine friend needs one now or a few years down the road.

SchnauzerGirl
March 17th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Yep, titre testing is the way to go. I've got a doggy that has allergies and I am NOT going to give him any vaccinations until I get the titre testing done because his immune system is already compromised. Once you get the titre testing done then you know if you need the inoculations.

OntarioGreys
March 18th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Something that should be considered if your dogs are exposed to alot of other dogs. Is that Parvo is a virus, viruses are known to mutate and new strains can develop, vaccine manufacterers need to keep up with these changes and modify the vaccines so that they can also prevent the dog from getting the new strains.

So even though the titer may say your dog still has antibodies, it may not protect your dog if they become infected with a new strain of the disease.

You may not want to vaccinate yearly but should consider a 2 or 3 year vaccine protocol, just to ensure your dogs are given protection from newer strains.

satchelp
March 18th, 2006, 03:40 PM
That is true of a lot of viruses, leptospirosis, for one; however, Parvovirus only has 3 known strains, and no new ones have shown up for a long time. Any vet who is worth his salt, and believes in titer testing, would know if if there were a new strain of parvo and would know when it is necessary to vaccinate against it. This would be a significant development in the realm of animal vaccination as all dogs would have to be vaccinated against the new strain.

Cymba's friend
March 21st, 2006, 01:24 PM
There are quite a few web sites (also holistic veterinary ones) that have good information on how often to vaccinate, and which vaccinations to do. There is also a lot of controversy in that area. However even my vet (who is open to my frequent questions and challenges) admitted that many dogs are over-vaccinated and this causes a breakdown or confusion in their immune system. However she also said that some people "under vaccinate" - and much also depends on where your dog lives, their animal and environment contacts etc - and some dogs can be put at risk through under-vaccination. If there is a test to validate the immune system for a particular virus, it would be the way to go - that plus a good open discussion with your vet on the subject of over-vaccination. Good luck.