Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

It's done! Finally!!

Prin
March 16th, 2006, 10:16 PM
We finished the livingroom floor finally, so I thought I'd post some befores and afters...

If you'll recall, we didn't put the bamboo down afterall because there was really nice pine underneath.. The bamboo is going in the bedroom (it'll be nice on our feetsies in the morning).

Before. Blechhh!!! :D

Prin
March 16th, 2006, 10:17 PM
There were bits of varnish on my babies' toys! :mad:

Still before... You can see the rot by the door.:sick:

Prin
March 16th, 2006, 10:19 PM
And after... (We haven't moved the furniture back yet because we still have a couple of baseboards to do..)

This floor was under the crap! People are insane.

Prin
March 16th, 2006, 10:20 PM
They're a bit out of focus because it's a bit dark in there...

Prin
March 16th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Last one.. This was during..:eek:

jesse's mommy
March 16th, 2006, 10:30 PM
They are gorgeous! Congrats!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 16th, 2006, 10:31 PM
I like the underneath floor much better especially once its all varnished. We actually had the floor that was placed on top years ago - it must have been really popular at one time.

Prin
March 16th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks Jesse's mommy...

Yeah, parkay was popular in the 80's... It's just cheap crap, IMO... I hate it.

My man says the pics I took don't do the floor he slaved for justice. :D It's a lot less yellow than that...

jesse's mommy
March 16th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Since he is so good at taking pictures, tell him to take some to redeem his work! :D

Prin
March 16th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Oh he will... Tomorrow morning at 7AM when the sun is in that room...:D

Prin
March 16th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Heh heh... Boo just stretched on the floor... Makes me cringe...:D But he's allowed.:king:

Here's Jemma stretching on the old floor- look at what the nails do!!:D And they slide when they do it too...

But we promised ourselves not to get anal about the floor.. So it's all good.

jesse's mommy
March 16th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Oh he will... Tomorrow morning at 7AM when the sun is in that room...:D

Well we expect to see those pictures too. :)

As for the scratches, just comes with the territory and you can always refinish them when they get scratched.

Prin
March 16th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I know... We had wood in our old apartment that the doggies nearly demolished (the landlord turned down our offer to pay to refinish them though). Comes with the territory.

technodoll
March 16th, 2006, 10:55 PM
totally awesome! i also can't believe the crap people slapped on beautiful wood floors a few decades ago... carpet... linoleum... parquet... :yuck: How long did it take you guys from start to finish? did you need any professional help? :)

joeysmama
March 16th, 2006, 10:56 PM
The new floor is gorgeous !!! What were those people thinking ? "This is pretty--we better get some crap in here quick !!"

Our first house had beautiful pine floors in the bedrooms but they put plywood and then some hideous carpeting over it in the living room.

You finished the job pretty quickly too. My husband has been putting wainscotting in our dining room for over a month now. He does nice work but you should live long enough for anything to actually be finished.

Prin
March 16th, 2006, 11:00 PM
How long did it take you guys from start to finish? did you need any professional help?
You mean therapy? lol maybe!

From start to finish it would probably have taken us a week if we didn't slack so much. But slacking included, it was about 2 weeks. The sanding was the worst part. The boards aren't planed (sp?) so we had to belt sand and then sand with a palm sander between the planks. The varnishing took a day and a half, and we put 6 coats on (higher hopes for the doggy nails).

My brother is a renovator, so he lent us all the tools we needed and gave us a 2 minute "how to". Otherwise, it was all us. It's not too hard, just a pain. The dust gets everywhere, even if you seal the room up.

Prin
March 16th, 2006, 11:04 PM
The new floor is gorgeous !!! What were those people thinking ? "This is pretty--we better get some crap in here quick !!"
We think because there are spaces between the planks, they decided to cover it up. Luckily for us they put paper towel (!!) between the pine and the plywood, so it was nicely protected..

To be honest, this house is a cottage built in the 60's (probably a 3 season cottage), so there's no sub-floor under the pine. I hesitate to say it because my man's family thinks it's horrible that we finished what is technically a sub-floor. :o But the pine they used is 16 foot, 3 inch wide amazing quality pine. Why hide that under a floor, regardless of whether there's plywood under it or not? We're just going to insulate underneath it really well so it'll be nicer on the feets.. Subfloor schmubfloor- a floor is a floor.:D And this one looks great and feels great.

NaNa8
March 17th, 2006, 11:02 AM
The floor looks Super !!! :thumbs up Are there any other areas that you are doing the same thing to? How were the dogs during all this?

When our Golden died last January, to ease some of the depression, the hubby and I stripped wallpaper and pulled up the carpeting in 3 bedrooms and the hall. Our house had carpet (the Bedrooms and Living/Dining rooms, hall) with maple floors in the entry areas. To our surprise, all of the areas listed above had the Maple floors underneath.

Prin
March 17th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Well the man didn't wake up early this morning, but here's what it looks like in the daytime anyway. (My pic got interrupted by a big black thing...:o )

Prin
March 17th, 2006, 02:54 PM
The doggies were really hard to keep out of there, especially when there were still nails sticking out of the floor... They're magnets for trouble...

We used mat varnish but it still came out pretty shiny (I like shiny, so it all works out...:D)

Boo showing me he can be nice stretch without his nails...

chico2
March 17th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Looks great Prin!!!We have pretty well the same kind in the whole house,except bathroom and kitchen.My house was built 1959.
In some rooms it was in such bad shape,we covered it with laminate,but I still have a couple of rooms with the original floor.
One day we'll have it all refinished,we're to old to do it ourselves:D

cpietra16
March 17th, 2006, 09:36 PM
wow....nice. Very nice

Prin
March 18th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Thanks! Yeah, I'm not thrilled that our house was built in the 60's... A lot of the construction workers were doing other things along with constructing... My dad's building is a famous building in montreal built in the 60's and when they gutted the bathroom, they found some beer bottles and non-cigarette butts... (there's a 2 foot crawl space between the floors). Anyway... We found a couple of marks from where they stepped on beer caps, but otherwise it was ok.

Frenchy
March 18th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Prin,I love houses build in the 60's.I think they are more "solid" that what they are making today and they have style.Love the floors by the way,pretty original.

K9Friend
March 18th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Good Job Prin! I love the 'old floors'! :thumbs up

Prin
March 18th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Well, there's no sun today... Here's a pic my man took this morning... It seems there's always a Boo in them.. He was really hard to keep out of that room the whole time.

NaNa8
March 18th, 2006, 04:06 PM
You guys did a great job. And Boo looks like he called the room "His own" much like kids do. I am very much looking forward to doing our floors but not how I am going to keep a 10 mth old puppy out of the mess and where are we going to put all the furniture during it. In our house from the Entryway up to the hall and into all 4 bedrooms the floors were layed out so that it is seemless (so to speak). IMO I thought that the floors would need to be done at the same time so that the varnishing is the same throughout.

Prin
March 18th, 2006, 08:43 PM
It would probably be better to do them all at once, but we're varying the floors throughout, so we have flexibility that way. We'd have nowhere to live if we were doing them all...:D

busterandmoe
May 3rd, 2006, 02:36 PM
I love your floors!

I just put in hard wood floors in my condo and my two kitties are sliding all over. Will they get used to it? They really had traction on the old carpet.

Will their kitty paws scratch up the floors much? I didn't even think of that.

Boo is darling.

meb999
May 3rd, 2006, 04:45 PM
But we promised ourselves not to get anal about the floor.. So it's all good.

Since we put down the floors ourselves, we FREAKED at first when we realised just how much Buster was scratching them up :eek:
But, you get used it....they're just floors, right? Plus you have the added bonus that bamboo is REALLY hard, so it won't scratch as easily!

jiorji
May 3rd, 2006, 11:15 PM
(My pic got interrupted by a big black thing...:o )

you should clean your lenses better next time. hehe

plus you take so many pictures of the kids he's probably in your face cos it's routine hehe...he's thinking "oh great...camera's out...but my hair's a mess!!.....what?? you want to photograph the FLOOR?? HA!! silly human!":eek:

shannonRN
May 4th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Yippee, the floors look AMAZING, Prin. Really nice job :thumbs up

Prin
May 4th, 2006, 06:35 PM
This thread is kinda old, but it's ok.. I have more to add. lol We just finished the bamboo in the bedroom. We just have to put the baseboards on and repaint the wall a bit where my man ran a piece of plywood through it...

Sorry for the blur.. It's not a great time for pics (it's raining out).

Bushfire2000
May 4th, 2006, 06:51 PM
What great floors!!
I redid our bedroom floor last year and hope to do the livingroom floor this year. Talk about ugly though, they put the most hideous tile over my nice hardwood floors. I don't know if I'll ever be able to get the tile off,I bought a special tile scrapper though, to try.

glasslass
May 5th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Beautiful job Prin! I love the woodgrain patterns and knots in pine! You two can be really proud!:thumbs up

Prin
May 6th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Thanks! It's back-breaking work, but it's worth it. We earned our floors.:D