Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need help...

suer
March 16th, 2006, 02:51 PM
my cat, who we think is between 12-15 had broken her leg, at the time vet thought old age and osteoporosis..he was not sure about doing the surgery being the brittleness of her bones but he did it..she had a titanium rod and wires put in. the first month she was doing fine..walking with a slight limp. i kept her in a spare bedroom so she wasn't able to jump around, she was out when were were at home..then in the next week, she started to not put any weight on it and it started to swell..dr took an xray, said hes not thrilled with the result, looked moth eaten but again chalked it up to old age..put her on prednosone to see how it helped..then took her back on monday to have another xray done. within the 2 weeks looks like a lot of her bone disolved, dr said there is a bone tumor and what she has and where is rare. was always against amputation for her, but faced with amputation or putting her to sleep i would go with the amputation. dr said he wanted to look into it, prognosis..etc..called me later that night with info, was happy with it and he thought it sounded good but said he wanted to go a chest xray to see if it had spread..went in one tues, had the xray done...trina has 3 tumors in her lungs, so the surgery is out of the question.asked if she was in pain, dr said, i am sure she is uncomfortable...but this cat is amazing..even the vet agreed...her leg is useless, swollen and the tumors in her lungs you would think she would be laying around and doing nothing..she walks into the kitchen, living room..bathroom and this past sunday she went up on my bed to lay as i was cleaning..my problem is having to put her down..its not a decision i want to make..had a dog put down 9 years ago and it still bothers me...can anyone give me any advice, on what to try, how to know...this is my fist cat and i know very little about pain levels..i don't want her to suffer but if she was in pain would she be walking around, eating??
thanks
sue

BMDLuver
March 16th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Cats have an incredibly high pain threshold so she could in reality be in severe pain but will not show it. I think you know what needs to be done here. I'm sorry that her prognosis is so poor.

LibbyP
March 16th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Hi Sue, I know first hand how hard this decision can be as I had my old girl euthanized Dec 30,05 (16yrs)exactly one year to the day of having my Coonhound euthanized. Cats have a VERY high pain tolerence, what you have to decide is would you rather like to remember her happy and not prolong her uncomfortableness for your own selfishness at the thought of looseing her.What helped me alittle was I knew Jasmine liked other cats so I fostered a kitten from the spca (not intending to keep him) to take my mind off what I knew in my heart needed to be done, I of course kept him, he will never replace Jasmine I love her so much she was my first baby. Hope this helps alittle, LibbyP

chico2
March 16th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Suer,I too had a cat with cancer,he was 19 yrs old.
I am sorry to admit,I waited until he was too sick even to get up,before having him put to rest,yes,I was selfish,I did not want to lose him..
However,if your cat is still eating,drinking and seems her usual self,maybe you can keep her around a little longer,just not too long:love:
It's your desicion to make,have her wellbeing first in your mind,you love her and it sometimes means having to let her go,to a place with no pain.:love:

Lucky Rescue
March 16th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Cats have an incredibly high pain threshold so she could in reality be in severe pain but will not show it.

That is so true. It's a cat's instinct to try and hide weakness from predators or competition but that doesn't mean your cat is not suffering with her terminal cancer.

I know it's very hard on you - I've had to do this too many times - but think how hard it is on her.

OntarioGreys
March 16th, 2006, 11:43 PM
:grouphug:

Bone cancers are the very worst pain known, even with very strong pain meds the pain still exists, amputation is the only way to to eliminate the pain, he is an the advance stages which means he is suffering terribly. The ultimate gift oif love a pet owner can give is freedom from pain, holding then in their arms and loving them till they cross over. I had to make the same decision with my greyhound Callie 2 years ago, she also had osteo, 2 weeks after she went to the bridge, I was doing some tidying up and had a strong sense something was behind, I turned around expecting it to be one of the other dogs, instead it was Callie, wagging her tail and smiling at me and she was standing on all 4 legs a minute later she faded away, she had came back to let me know she was happy and well again, in a more msyterious way she directed to Florida for my next dog, I had to pick up the new greyhound in Buffalo where other people where meeting also to pick up greys, one of the first dogs to be brought out was a 4 month old puppy that was the same coloring as my new dog, I went over to talk to the new and meet her new pup, as we got talking we learned we each recently lost a greyhound, then the names came out, it just happened she had Sarah (Cbar Sarah) who happened to be the full sister to Callie(Cbar Gena). So Callie not only helped guide me to a new dog she also introduced me to her sisters owner

What I am trying to say is even when your kitty is no longer physically with you , she will still be nearby in spirit, some can find a way to send you messages that they are okay sometimes it is not as obvious, it could be something like a little rainbow reflecting off a puddle when you are out in the yard thinking of of her, or you will find a toy of hers that had been missing a long time

CyberKitten
March 17th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Absolutely agree with what has been said - there is nothing worse than bone pain, speaking both as someone who works in health care and copes with bone pain on a daily basis. There are actually days I wake up and wonder idf life is worth living so my heart goes out to your kitty!! Seriously, at her age and situation, you would be doing what is best for her (and not for you tho I know how hard it is, maybe the vet will come to your home - mine did the last time a geriatric kitty had to be put to sleep at 21).

She will be at the Bridhe playing and waiting for you!!!! Talk it over with your vet - ifg you can buy her time and she would not be in pain with an amputation, that may be the way to go. If the cancer has metaisized, you may have a difficult delimma! And cats tolerate pain so well and hide it and they can also tolerate huge does of narcotics!!

Good luck! :grouphug:

Lucky Rescue
March 17th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Talk it over with your vet - ifg you can buy her time and she would not be in pain with an amputation, that may be the way to go. If the cancer has metaisized, you may have a difficult delimma!

It has already matastasized to the lungs, CK...or maybe it started there.

Amputation is not an option.:(