Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Week old puppies with scabbie patches

sandky
March 16th, 2006, 01:42 AM
I was seaching the internet hoping to find an answer to this question when I found this pet forum. So here's hoping someone can help me. I have a litter of Cocker Spaniel puppies, almost 2 weeks old. Two of the litter have 2 to 3 scabbie patches on their back and hind quarters. I first noticed them 3 days ago. A couple of the patches have grown fairly large, they kind of feel like a hot spot but there is no oozing on the skin or any hair loss. In fact, I really can't see it at all because of the hair. From what I can see, the skin itself doesn't really seem bad but it is covered in the scabs. The scabs themselves stick really bad to the hair, I cannot get them loose from the hair, even the part that is no longer connected to the skin. These patches also have a metallic smell to them. I have been using an antibiotic salve on them; I think it is helping but because of the scabs stuck in the hair it is hard to say for sure.
This has only effected 2 puppies out of a litter of 5. I have been keeping a close check on the others to make sure that it isn't spreading to them. Nor do these two seem to be getting any new patches. They eat well and seem to feel fine but I'm worried because of the size and unknown cause. They stay inside and have clean bedding. I'm at a loss - I haven't seen anything like this on new babies before. Please advise. :fingerscr :confused:

Prin
March 16th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Have you asked your vet? Maybe that would help. The vets on this site are here very seldomly, and the longer you wait the worse your situation might get...

Dragonfly
March 16th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Please seek a veterinarian. Looking at your puppies, one should be able to diagnose your problem and treat it accordingly.