Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Surgery Recovery

Rufus
March 15th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Our little puppy was in a fight and as a result had to have some major surgery - can anyone give me advice as to making his recovery easier for him?

thanks!

jesse's mommy
March 16th, 2006, 04:56 AM
We would need more details about the injury and the surgery. We hope your baby is alright.

Rufus
March 16th, 2006, 09:22 AM
My little guy is almost 6 months old and was attacked last week. I didn't think it was serious until i found a lump on his leg a couple of days later. Long and scary story short - it turns out there was a hole in his belly and the intestines had slipped out and he was bleeding internally. The vet said he caught it all and sewed him up, but it's been pretty traumatic for my little pup -- and for me! I am picking him up today and i just want to do everything possible to make him comfortable. This is my first dog, so i'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and out of my depths.

Thanks everyone.

Lucky Rescue
March 16th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Oh that's awful.:(

Your vet will give you instruction. You need to keep your puppy fairly quiet - no racing around, jumping, dashing up stairs etc.

You'll need to check the wound for signs of infection, like swelling, extreme redness or oozing. Make sure he's not bothering the wound by licking. You may need a plastic Elizabethan collar for that.

Since he's a puppy, he'll probably recover quickly!:)

Rufus
March 16th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks so much Lucky - i just want him to recover quickly and be his ol' playful and fearless little puppy... i appreciate your words.

Beaglemom
March 16th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I'm so sorry that your puppy got hurt.

I agree with everything that Lucky has said.

I just have one more thing that I would like to add. Since your puppy did get hurt by another dog, he may have some fear issues now. You will probably have to work on his socialization with other dogs once he is fully recovered and your vet gives the okay. I would look into enrolling him in an obedience class, if you haven't already, with a very good trainer who knows the situation and is willing to help you both out.

Please keep us updated on your puppy's condition. My thoughts and prayers are with you both for a speedy recovery.

OntarioGreys
March 16th, 2006, 03:04 PM
You will likely need to crate or at least keep him in a small contained area for about 7 days and leash walk only, so he is not tearing stitches open .

If he is licking and pestering the wound site, he may need to wear a cone, vet will likely supply you with one,

The pup will have had an antibiotic injection but you will likely has to give some orally, give as directed for the entire course. It may cause stomach upset so best give with some food, some will stop eating because of the stomach upset but you should still continue to give and talk to the vet if you are worried

Inspect the wound daily, their may be a drainage tube ask the vet how to clean, If the wound area gets warm, puffy or a lot of discharge phone the vet for advice

Rufus
March 17th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Thanks everyone - i appreciate your support so much!

Any suggestions on food i could make him that he'd enjoy - he isn't eating much of his old puppy food and i think the painkillers and antibiotics are making him a bit constipated. His spirits are rediculously high though and he's still got a skip in his step!