Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Patella luxation surgery?????

Boy Wonder
March 15th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Hi. I have a 7.5 lb. 1.5 yr old Chihuahua and it has been brought to my attention that he MIGHT need surgery in the future to correct a condition known as "luxation of the patella."
I am trying to get as much info as possible and I was hoping to hear some experiences from people who have had this procedure done on their dogs.

What method of surgery was performed?
Did it work?
Any post-operative problems/complications?
Any additional information would be great because I am getting a bit nervous about this.

Thank you for your time,

Kris

BMDLuver
March 15th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Where are you located?

Our vet has performed several. The most effective is to remove the knee cap and place a pin in it's place. The healing time is about 2 weeks and normal fulltime activity can resume by 8 weeks. The surgery is best to perform when the dog is young if the degree is 3 or above.

Boy Wonder
March 15th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Thank you very much for the reply.
I am located in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia, Canada.
I am still not 100% positive that my dog even suffers from this condition, as all 3 vets I have seen in my area are completely useless at best, however the more I read about it, the more I think he may have it.
If he does indeed have it, I would tend to think it's only level one or two.
I've researched the condition and the methods of surgery a bit and it's my understanding that regardless of what level it is currently at, it will only get worse..
I've heard mixed opinions about this procedure which is why I'm trying to hear as many experiences as possible (good or bad.)

Thanks again for your informative reply.

Kris

Boy Wonder
March 15th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Where are you located?

Our vet has performed several. The most effective is to remove the knee cap and place a pin in it's place. The healing time is about 2 weeks and normal fulltime activity can resume by 8 weeks. The surgery is best to perform when the dog is young if the degree is 3 or above.

I realize that there is no way to predict exactly how the dog will be and how much the surgery will help, but would you happen to know what the general outcome usually is?

Does this procedure completely correct the condition and allow the dog to live a totally normal and active life once healed without any problems?

Boy Wonder
March 15th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Also I do not care what it costs, I will find the absolute best and most reputable vet in my area to ensure that it is done right, but would you have any idea approximately what kind of cost I will be looking at for this surgery?

BMDLuver
March 16th, 2006, 02:36 AM
The pricing varies from about $800 to $2000 depending on the size of the dog. Yours is tiny so it should be at the bottom of the scale. All the dogs that I have seen go through it have done extremely well and the problem has been completely corrected. That's not to say that they may not have some arthritis at a later age but they go back to leading very normal lives and smaller dogs seem to do the best with the surgery. Probably the most difficult part of the surgery is the healing process as they feel great so want to tear around on the leg before it's ready to do so.

Boy Wonder
March 16th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Thank you very much you have been very helpful!

I am just very concerned because this is the most active little dog I have ever seen and even after healing I just want to be sure that there won't be any problems and that his activity won't be restricted..

Thanks a bunch!:thumbs up

BMDLuver
March 16th, 2006, 08:44 PM
If anything, he'll most likely be busier... :eek: